Ruark MR1 speakers (2015 model)

Sanchez Family

Oct 18, 2021, 9:57:32 AM10/18/21
to Brennan Forum
Hello,

We own Ruark MR1 speakers (2015 model) - no optical connection.

Can you please recommend electrical cable(s) to maintain high standard of sound quality?

Thanks.

Davywhizz

Oct 18, 2021, 12:08:18 PM10/18/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi

It looks like the Mark 1 has a mini-jack (3.5mm) line input, so you could just get the shortest possible stereo minijack to minijack cable to connect from the B2's combined line out/optical out socket.

However, you may want to think about having an external DAC between your B2 and your speakers. The consensus on this forum seems to be that an external DAC will give you a better sound than the one inside the B2. So, for that, you'd need an optical cable from the B2 to the external DAC and, most likely, a cable with twin RCA connectors going to a stereo minijack for the Ruark end.

Some will tell you any old cable will do, others will say spend a fortune. I like to think I take a balanced approach. I like gold-plated plugs, but it's nothing to do with sound quality. The advantage of gold is that it doesn't oxidise or react with other metals. Sound systems which are left connected long-term can develop nasty crackling sounds as the connections react over time. Gold plugs are a good way to prevent that. Obviously, more expensive cables will give you better quality plating, though a lot of cheaper cables also (claim to) have gold plated plugs.

The short cables connecting my hifi components are all made by the Chord company and cost about £40 each. I don't mind paying that for a very short connector, but wouldn't pay that rate per metre for a long run of speaker cable. For that, I use KabelDirekt (loads of them on Amazon) and they also sell shorter connector cables, which are pretty good and cost a lot less than the ones by Chord.

If you want to look into having an external DAC, there are a lot around and you don't need to spend a huge amount (not least because the sound quality of the B2 is capped at CD level). You could think of a combined DAC/headphone amp if you  have a use for that. A headphone amp is great for higher end headphones, which usually take a bit more driving than cheaper ones.

You'd need to be careful to get a DAC with an optical input: some only have USB inputs as they are intended to take a feed from a phone or tablet/laptop.
I've seen various recommendations for DACs on this forum and you may get more ideas here. I have a nice one which I only use as a headphone amp - a Fiio K5 Pro - but I hesitate to recommend it, only because one of the otherwise glowing reviews was a bit sniffy about the quality of its line-out to speakers, though that was only based on electronic measurements, not listening.

PMB

Oct 19, 2021, 3:53:12 AM10/19/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Sanchez Family,

I have MR1s (great little speakers) connected to my B2 via an external DAC. I bought the FX Audio DAC X6 because I wanted a separate headphones amplifier, a USB input (for the BB1) and an optical in (for the B2) for testing purposes.

This configuration (and any optical DAC set up) requires an optical cable with 'mini' TOS Link for the B2 (shares the same socket as the Line Out) and TOS Link for the DAC, like this -
Mini TOS Link cable.jpg
The X6 have phono outputs so I use a Phonos to 3.5mm jack lead to connect to the MR1s.
3.5mm to phono cable.jpg
Perhaps a slightly better one than the one shown in the photo....

Paul
Brennan Support.

Davywhizz

Oct 19, 2021, 4:55:41 AM10/19/21
to Brennan Forum
PS - of course gold plating isn't of much relevance to optical cables, as the connection isn't electrical. However, I do hear a difference in better quality optical. Other opinions are available!