Newbie Question

Keith Duncan

Mar 12, 2021, 7:56:46 AM3/12/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi all,

Starting using my Brennan about a week ago and have been spending the time ripping my cd collection.

A quick query for you all. Do your units ever fail to boot up? I've had it twice where the green light flashes but nothing comes up on the screen. I've left it for 5 mins but nothing changes, just the flashing light.

I then just restart the power switch on the back and all is well, boots up as expected.

Is this a sign of an issue or just one of those random things that happen with computers from time to time?

Cheers
Keith

Mike W

Mar 12, 2021, 8:33:33 AM3/12/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Keith, one thing to just check is that the microsd card is seated correctly, these have been known to come out of position in transit and is probably the easiest first thing to go for.

Details of how to open up the B2 are on the web site.

Let us know how you get on.

Mike

mantis1955

Mar 12, 2021, 9:22:03 AM3/12/21
to Brennan Forum
I got my B2 about 3 weeks ago and I’ve had the same issue, maybe 40% of the time although it hasn’t bothered me much.I’ll give the SD card thing a go some time then.
More of a nuisance for me is the lack of hot-swapping usb devices which seems a bit fundamental in 2021.
I’ve now reached the end of my CD collection and have been connecting a USB drive occasionally from my Mac, as well as swapping CD drives for the occasional CD which wouldn’t read, so this rebooting is something I could do without.
Enjoying listening to my stuff again though, as my missus had buried some of my music away.

Keith Duncan

Mar 12, 2021, 10:22:44 AM3/12/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks for the feedback Mike.

I'll give that a try.

Typically, today it has been fine :-)

Mike W

Mar 12, 2021, 11:52:32 AM3/12/21
to Brennan Forum
Keith, I think there's a law about that! ......................

Daniel Taylor

Mar 12, 2021, 5:02:02 PM3/12/21
to Brennan Forum
jo...
Generally, hot swapping USB disks on the B2 is not a huge problem.  Really the only time you have to be quite careful is when you have just been doing an operation that accesses the disk.  If you yank it out in the middle of an access, it could cause a problem.  Many of us don't take a chance and just power down first, but only after SAVING by pressing/holding the STOP button.  Yeah, it's a nuisance, but the B2 is a computer.  I don't yank USB disks out of my computer without formally Ejecting them.

PMB

Mar 15, 2021, 3:41:42 AM3/15/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi All,

If you are having to power off-on the B2, to reset it, leave the power off for 30s or so to ensure a clean start up when power is reapplied.

Paul
Brennan Support.