I am trying soooo hard...

Jason D

Dec 11, 2020, 4:53:29 PM12/11/20
to Brennan Forum
...to like this frigging thing.  It is almost every day I have some sort of new problem to report.

So today's fun... DLNA/NAS decides not to work today.  No matter how many times I try to "enable it", the machine just goes to "rebooting".. and then never reboots.

And of course, when turning it off/on, DLNA and NAS still don't work.

What now?

PMB

Dec 14, 2020, 4:01:47 AM12/14/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Boom,

You've mentioned NAS and DLNA - what are you trying to do - a little more info will help us?

Have you updated the software recently - did that work OK or hang on rebooting also?

Paul
Brennan Support.

Jason D

Dec 14, 2020, 11:08:56 AM12/14/20
to Brennan Forum
Hey Paul... thank you for responding.

I have the DLNA working; or I should say, it just decided to work on its own.

I have the software date B2B Nov 24.

Last time I updated software, within the first 2 hours of owning the device (previous thread), my device was bricked.  Not a fun experience for a first time user.  I have since decided to wait an see how this next web upgrade fairs before installing it.

-Jason

PMB

Dec 15, 2020, 4:16:03 AM12/15/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Jason,

DLNA and NAS can take a while to be discovered on your network. If you do not need DLNA you can turn it off in the Maintenance menu > DLNA > Off. You'll need to do this if you want to use the B2's 'play to Sonos' function.

What computer/device are you using to view the B2 on your network - Windows 10 computer, etc?

I would suggest trying a Web Upgrade as some fixes have been done since the Nov software. Check the WiFi signal strength at the B2 first - Maintenance menu > WiFi Strength - it needs to be at least -60dBm (-50dBm is a stronger signal and -70dBm is weaker) and should not fluctuate wildly for a reliable connection. Others have found that a signal closer to -50dBm ensures a reliable connection and web UI functionality.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Jason D

Dec 15, 2020, 1:31:07 PM12/15/20
to Brennan Forum
I'm trying to get either DLNA or NAS to actually work consistently.  I don't have Sonos, and I don't want it.  I want either DLNA or NAS to work... either one.  I want to get to my music from my WIRED LAN Windows 10 computer OR NAS/DLNA music client on my iPhone.  Both of work from time to time.. but neither consistently.

I just don't understand why this thing can't be consistent.

-Jason

Peter Lowham

Dec 15, 2020, 3:53:02 PM12/15/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Jason,

Having used Brennans for 4 years now and also having some experience with NAS, DLNA, Apples (MacBooks and iPhones, I can say with a reasonable level of confidence that the Brennan implementation of NAS and DLNA is good.  I use NAS between a number of different devices and Operating Systems, not just Brennan to whatever else.

Apple's implementation of NAS in particular is very, very flakey, on all versions of their software.  On my Apple devices, I am constantly losing connections with ALL NAS connections, not just the Brennans.  Sometimes I open up the Apples to find that the NAS connection has disappeared, then, for example,  I close the lid of the MacBook and reopen it and eventually the NAS connection is remade.  As I said, all pretty flakey at the Apple end.

Microsoft's NAS is a lot better than Apple's but still not that robust.

So, you should report this type of issue to Apple.  If you get a fix from Apple, I would be interested to know about it.

Regards,
Peter.

Jason D

Dec 15, 2020, 4:14:34 PM12/15/20
to Brennan Forum
This is definitely not just an "apple" problem... I have issues with DLNA on my android, apple and Windows 10 devices... it is consistently inconsistent.

If anything is flakey, its this Brennan device.  There is no denying it at this point.

This is a fact.

-Jason

Peter Lowham

Dec 15, 2020, 5:51:19 PM12/15/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Jason,

You've just listed two out of three O/S versions that are flakey, without the Brennan being involved, namely Apple and Windows.  My home set up is as follows.  I have a Window HyperV physical server which contains a number of Windows 10 and Windows 7 virtual machines.  All are NAS enabled.  I haven't tested Android as I haven't required that yet.  The servers and the two Brennans are hard wired into the network.

Then I have a couple of MacBook Pros, three Window 10 laptops, an iPad and an iPhone.

I have NAS enabled so that my central server (Win 10 based) acts as a 'File & Print' server, with ALL of my data stored there.  The laptops only have applications loaded; no data files (so that the theft of a laptop or mobile device therefore would not matter to me).  So most of my connections are from the MacBook or Windows laptops to the 'File & Print' server.  No Brennan involved at all.  These NAS connections which  use for all documentation, spreadsheets, PDFs, etc, are flakey, and that is a fact.

When a NAS connection 'disappears' on the MacBook, it can take 30 minutes or more for it to 'magically' reappear.  The Windows connections are somewhat better in this situation, sometimes a few minutes to recover.  I put up with this because it usually only happens if the MacBook or Windows laptop goes to sleep and subsequntly is woken up, so I have set them to not sleep for 4 hours and this has minimised the problem.  I haven't logged these problems on this forum because they are not Brennan issues.

What I have found out during all of this is that the Windows 7 NAS connection is the most reliable of the Windows server connections.  So, my nightly automated backup from the Brennan (using 'robocopy') is to my Windows 7 backup server.

I remain ever hopeful that Apple and Microsoft will fix the respective issues with NAS (really I should say SMB) but I'm not holding my breath.  Life is too short!

Regards,
Peter.