No line out

IBMJunkman

Jul 11, 2021, 10:40:08 AM7/11/21
to Brennan Forum
Finally got my music loaded from PC to B2.

Using analog Line Out to receiver. Have used 2 different cables and all I get is hum. Thinking the 3.5mm plug was not seated well I removed the back panel of the B2 and then plugged the cable in. No hum. But with B2 playing a track I get no sound.

Ideas?

IBMJunkman

Jul 11, 2021, 10:42:53 AM7/11/21
to Brennan Forum
I should mentioned the VU screen display indicates activity.

Davywhizz

Jul 11, 2021, 11:43:51 AM7/11/21
to Brennan Forum
A couple of initial ideas: you'll probably need the B2 volume set quite high, about 60, to get a good line out level. Start with the receiver volume low and bring it up gradually.

Also, can you test for a B2 line out signal by plugging in some headphones?

IBMJunkman

Jul 11, 2021, 12:01:16 PM7/11/21
to Brennan Forum

Ran volume up to 60 and got sound. Interesting it only goes up to 65. 😊

Now to work on physical fit of plug.

Davywhizz

Jul 11, 2021, 12:53:42 PM7/11/21
to Brennan Forum
Be very careful with the B2 socket: bear in mind it's a combined optical and 3.5 jack connector.

IBMJunkman

Jul 11, 2021, 1:01:41 PM7/11/21
to Brennan Forum
I need to analyze the plug casing and the alignment of the jack to the hole in the back cover. Will try different plugs.

IBMJunkman

Jul 11, 2021, 3:30:32 PM7/11/21
to Brennan Forum

Most of my 3.5mm plugs have a shoulder. The hole in the B2 backplate for Line Out is too small. I drilled it out to just under a 1/4 inch and now the plug fits fine. A little black marker to cover the bare aluminum of the new hole and no one will know. 😊

Mark Fishman

Jul 11, 2021, 5:26:30 PM7/11/21
to Brennan Forum
That's odd. The "line out" and "aux in" jacks on my B2 are both flush with the external surface of the backplate. Yours is recessed?

IBMJunkman

Jul 11, 2021, 5:48:15 PM7/11/21
to Brennan Forum
Line Out is a bit more recessed that the Line In. Since the hole in the backplate was smaller the shoulder on the jack would prevent full seating. Now waiting for a short, flat Ethernet cable from Amazon before I button up the box. I prefer wired connections.

PMB

Jul 12, 2021, 2:55:23 AM7/12/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi IBMJ,

Any chance of a photo?

Paul
Brennan Support.

IBMJunkman

Jul 12, 2021, 8:44:12 AM7/12/21
to Brennan Forum

Too late for a before photo. 😊 I will see what I can for an after photo.

IBMJunkman

Jul 13, 2021, 11:34:06 AM7/13/21
to Brennan Forum
Paul,

B2 back photo. Large photo.

Note how far in the Line Out jack is sitting in the hole.
Plugs I tried. The middle one is the one I had before enlarging the hole.

The center one shoulder is 5.85mm. It was too big for the hole to allow the plug to fully seat in the jack.
I had ordered 2 others before enlarging hole. The one on the left has a shoulder of 6.03mm but the black plastic may not have let it seat fully even with the larger hole.
The right hand plug shoulder is 5.02mm. It might have worked.

Mark Fishman

Jul 13, 2021, 11:39:41 AM7/13/21
to Brennan Forum
That's *definitely* more recessed than the jacks on mine. Thanks for the photos -- m.

Peter Lowham

Jul 13, 2021, 11:57:33 AM7/13/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi All,

Yes, per Mark's comment on both of my B2s (one early model, one late model) the 3.5mm sockets are flush with the rear panel amd the speaker sockets protrude out of the rear panel by about 0.5mm.

Regards,
Peter.

PMB

Jul 14, 2021, 4:23:54 AM7/14/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi IMBJ,

Thanks for the photos - I'll forward these to the factory.

Paul
Brennan Support.

IBMJunkman

Jul 14, 2021, 3:55:39 PM7/14/21
to Brennan Forum

The rim of the jack needs to be flush with the outside back of the hole. Then no matter the shape of the plug it will seat fully.