newbie q -Latest guidance on big uploads (450Gb)

s r

Aug 12, 2020, 10:55:18 AM8/12/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi folks

Grateful for some guidance prior to commencing my first upload (450Gb FLAC and MP3) of music to a brand new B2.

I saw some earlier threads of how it was recommended to chunk down to sub 100Gb, and then utilise a russian doll technique of a folder within a folder, to enable powering down / deletion every so ofter.  However I think I also saw confirmation that it was addressed in a software update, and I can now load my entire 450Gb in one go without deletions?

Any pointers to make it as painless as possible welcomed.

And while I am at it, dumb question number 2, where is the Optical Out (I have purcahsed a cheap DAC for this very purpose)

many thanks in advance

Steven

Edwyn Corteen

Aug 12, 2020, 11:02:18 AM8/12/20
to Brennan Forum
Optical out is integrated with the headphone outlet see shop page look for SPDIF https://www.brennan.co.uk/units, widely available from Amazon.

Not sure if large upload is fully fixed, just ensure your folder structure is Artist/Album/tracks.

Peter Lowham

Aug 12, 2020, 11:30:32 AM8/12/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Steven,

The 'Import' and 'Export' functions have been fixed since the 'B2B Jul 1 2020' release so if you ensure that your B2 software is at least up to that date or newer, then your upload will be good.  Those work-arounds you mention are no longer required.

You can check the B2's software version using the B2 remote; press the 'Info' button twice and look for 'Version .....' on the B2 display.

On your USB device, if you create a top folder called 'b2Export', then in this folder create a folder called 'music', the place all of your music folders in there, you should have a trouble free import.  As Edwyn states above just ensure that you use the folder structure that he has described.

If you use 'Import' then your upload should take about 16 hours by my estimate.

The SPDIF optical out is the same socket as 'Line Out' on my B2.

Good luck!
Regards,
Peter.

Daniel Taylor

Aug 12, 2020, 2:14:08 PM8/12/20
to Brennan Forum
Just a reminder:  the USB disk used for Import must have been formatted to be FAT32 - nothing else will work.  If not already formatted to that, the B2 can do that for you.  But remember that a format procedure will delete all of files that were on the disk.  So save them somewhere first.

s r

Aug 13, 2020, 8:13:46 AM8/13/20
to Brennan Forum
Edwyn / Peter / Daniel

Thank you one and all for your help. I didn't want to start off such a massive upload without the best information.  I will let you know how I get on (temporarily postponed due to flooding causing electrical issues).  I may take this postponement opportunity to spruce up my folders, I take it album art being in there will not upset the process.  (I have used dbpower and Perfectunes to rip and rip check,album art)

On the optical i just assumed it would be a toslink connection a la the cheap DAC I just purchased which came with a toslink to toslink cable.

thanks again

Steven

Daniel Taylor

Aug 13, 2020, 9:40:14 AM8/13/20
to Brennan Forum
The digital optical output is mini-Toslink.  So you might need an adaptor, depending on the cable you have.