Sonos

David Appleton

Mar 26, 2020, 7:12:06 AM3/26/20
to Brennan Forum
So, next problem. I cannot get my Brennan to connect to SONOS. I have got the SONOS app on my laptop (Apple)
Gone into Manage
Selected Music Library Settings
It says add music folder, I select NAS
It asks for the path I put //BRENNANB2\music (I have also tried the ip address here)
username root pw brennan
Says SONOS unable to add the music folder. Access denied, check username and password

Any ideas please, starting to regret purchase

David

d.a.thornber

Mar 26, 2020, 7:32:59 AM3/26/20
to Brennan Forum
Have you turned NAS on, on the Brennan?
Settings - maintenance - start NAS?

David Appleton

Mar 26, 2020, 7:35:40 AM3/26/20
to Brennan Forum
Sorry, should have said. Yes, first thing I did thanks,
David

d.a.thornber

Mar 26, 2020, 7:47:47 AM3/26/20
to Brennan Forum
You’ve got your slashes the wrong way round.

\\brennanb2\music

Rearwing

Mar 26, 2020, 7:48:15 AM3/26/20
to Brennan Forum
Some things are not meant to be, you may be asking the Brennan to perform in a way that is outside of its comfort zone. I don’t mean to be harsh, but how much due diligence did you do before committing to buy your B2? I would not have bought one if it’s primary role was as a Bluetooth player, I am sure that there are other more dedicated products available.
I have had mine for four years and a BB1 for several months, both are at work every day playing music through my study rig, or acting as a Bluetooth speaker in my bedroom. However, I only ask them to do the tasks that Martin specifically highlighted as key features.

Peter Lowham

Mar 26, 2020, 7:50:46 AM3/26/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi David,

What version of MacOS are you running on?  The Sonos system seems to need SMB1.0 to be enabled on the PC/Mac otherwise the Sonos cannot communicate with the PC/Mac.

I think that later versions of MacOS had SMB1.0 either removed or disabled (as did Microsoft who disabled SMB1.0 in Windows 10 about a year ago).

I don't have either Sonos or Mac, but I did have problems with my setup until I re-enabled SMB1.0 on my Windows 10.

Perhaps we could get some more info from some of the folks out there who have Sonos/Mac running?

Regards,
Peter.

David Appleton

Mar 26, 2020, 7:51:07 AM3/26/20
to Brennan Forum
I have tried both thanks

David Appleton

Mar 26, 2020, 7:53:00 AM3/26/20
to Brennan Forum
I think it is a bit harsh actually as Bluetooth capability is mentioned extensively although I am aware that it is not officially supported. I am just trying to get it going as I cannot get SONOS up and running either, so very frustrated at the moment

David Appleton

Mar 26, 2020, 7:54:22 AM3/26/20
to Brennan Forum
tried both ways, thanks for trying to help

d.a.thornber

Mar 26, 2020, 7:54:52 AM3/26/20
to Brennan Forum
Is the Brennan compressing files or doing anything else? It won’t connect to sonos if it is.

I don’t have a Mac, so unsure if there are any quirks. Mine’s rock solid on sonos using the sonos app through iPhone/iPad and my Windows laptop happily connects as well.

David Appleton

Mar 26, 2020, 7:56:26 AM3/26/20
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Peter,

I am running the latest Catalina OS

David

David Appleton

Mar 26, 2020, 1:01:40 PM3/26/20
to Brennan Forum
An update, I have tried to connect to SONOS through a different laptop with the same result. Getting a bit fed up with this now

Peter Lowham

Mar 26, 2020, 1:40:56 PM3/26/20
to Brennan Forum
David,

The Brennan uses SMB1.0 to communicate over NAS.  It looks like there is a security/authentication issue between the Sonos app and the B2, hence the 'Access Denied' error message.

What is the other laptop?  Is it Windows or Mac?

Regards,
Peter.

David Appleton

Mar 26, 2020, 1:48:21 PM3/26/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter,

It's a Mac running Mojave, many thanks,

David

PMB

Mar 27, 2020, 4:04:35 AM3/27/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi David,

Have you tried finding the B2 on the network using the MAC - open the equivalent of Windows Explorer > type   \\192.168.1.127\music   (replace the example with the IP address shown on your B2) - do you see the B2's music folder? If not you may need to enable SMB1.0 on the MAC.

I found this from Peter on another post - link - about this

Also, for Mac OSX users, some of the later versions of OSX do not provide a reliable version of SMB1.0 due to some sort of disagreement between Apple and Samba (who provide SMB1.0).  As a result, Apple tried to develop their own equivalent of SMB but failed to complete the project.  There are some alternative solutions available; if you google 'MAC OSX SMB problems' you will find plenty of material on that topic.

Paul
Brennan Support.

David Appleton

Mar 27, 2020, 6:25:51 AM3/27/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul,

When I try from my Mac (on latestest software) I get "404 - not found"

When I try from another on the same network (running older OS of Mac) I get - "This site cannot be reached"

Thanks,

David

PMB

Mar 28, 2020, 4:49:45 AM3/28/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi David,

Are you able to open the web UI on the MAC?

Paul
Brennan Support.

David Appleton

Mar 28, 2020, 7:14:53 AM3/28/20
to Brennan Forum
Yes, no problem,

David

PMB

Mar 30, 2020, 3:54:51 AM3/30/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi David,

Have you tried my previous suggestion - type   \\192.168.1.127\music   (using the IP shown on your B2) into the Network page of your computer - is the B2's music shown?

Paul
Brennan Support.

David Appleton

Mar 30, 2020, 5:26:35 AM3/30/20
to Brennan Forum
I have looked in my network folder and can see BRENNANB2 there so presume this is what you mean?

Thanks,

David

PMB

Mar 31, 2020, 4:22:18 AM3/31/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi David,

What happens if you click on BRENNANB2 - do you get the pop up to enter user name and password and does this open the music folder on the B2?

On the Sonos app try - \\BRENNANB2\music and it that doesn't work try \\IP Address\music

Paul
Brennan Support.

Peter Lowham

Mar 31, 2020, 10:18:10 AM3/31/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi David,

I found the post shown below which suggests that the connection string to use from the MAC might be in the format of:

'smb://192.168.1.33/' (but you substitute your B2's IP address)

For Mac OS, you just open Finder and click on "Go", then enter smb://IP of sharing machine. See the following how to share between Mac OS and Windows. macOS Sierra: Set up a Mac to share files with Windows users

Regards,
Peter.

charlied5957

Apr 2, 2020, 5:51:01 PM4/2/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi,

I've been following this thread as I just upgraded my MacBook Pro to OS Catalina, 64 bit, losing access to all my 32 bit software and, coincidentally, to the Brennan B2.

What Peter says in his message of 31 March definitely worked for me:

Finder
Go
Connect to Server
Enter SMB://IP of B2
Add this as a favourite server once it works

I had to try twice - it doesn't always connect the first time.  Use the usual Brennan B2 name/password when challenged.

Kind Regards,

Tom.

Peter Lowham

Apr 3, 2020, 7:21:12 AM4/3/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Tom,

Thanks very much for your feedback; this is very valuable.  I don't have either a Mac or Sonos, so the advice was theorectical, and it's good to know that it has worked for you.

There have been quite a few posts about MAC and Sonos connection issues, so hopefully this will benefit some of those folks.

Regards,
Peter.

David Appleton

Apr 4, 2020, 8:55:10 AM4/4/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter,

Good advice, I followed it and can now see the music folder from my Mac. Sorry to be dumb but how do I now use this to play music through my Sonos. Thanks for all your help,

David

Peter Lowham

Apr 4, 2020, 11:29:50 AM4/4/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi David,

That's good news.  Your Mac can now 'see' the music file on the B2 as a NAS (network attached storage) device. This means that the B2 has NAS running and is communicating with the Mac.

I don't have a Sonos system, or a Mac, but looking at the link below (on the Brennan web site), I think that you start up the Sonos app on your Mac and follow through the Sonos setup process.

I reckon that you start the Sonos app on your Mac and select  'Manage' ---> 'Music Library Settings' ---> 'Add Music Folder'

Then select 'Networked Device (e.g. NAS drive)'

Then select 'Add Music from your Networked share'

Hopefully you will se a window open up showing 'BrennanB2' with subfolder 'Music'.  Click on the 'Music' folder'

If all is well, you will be asked for a user name (root) and password (brennan). The B2 music folder should then appear in the 'My Music Folders on Sonos' window.

After this you will then be able to see all of the B2 music in the Sonos app, and play it to your Sonos system.

I hope that this works for you; as I said earlier, I'm working 'blind' on this, but it seems reasonably logical to me.  Let us know how you get on with it.

Regards,
Peter.

Jon Scargill

Apr 4, 2020, 11:40:24 AM4/4/20
to Brennan Forum
One of the problems you may find once you get the Sonos to read the B2 is that many of your artists will be tagged as Some Artist by Sonos due to the B2 not being able to tag them. I got around this by using MP3 Tag to tag all my CDs.

It took a long time as I have over 1200 CDs on the B2 but it's worth it to have everything indexed correctly.

David Appleton

Apr 5, 2020, 8:04:45 AM4/5/20
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Peter,

Same result I'm afraid. I follow the instructions and attempt to add the path to my networked share but after being asked to put in my password and id (brennan and root as instructed), I get

SONOS was unable to add the music folder

access to the shared folder //BRENNAN2/music is denied

check the username and/or password

I have tried both forward and backslash. Any ideas out there anyone? I hope this is supported by Brennan, I understand bluetooth isn't but hoped I could get at least one working...

d.a.thornber

Apr 5, 2020, 9:53:09 AM4/5/20
to Brennan Forum
Just want to check you’ve just got a typo in your reply above,
The path is //brennanb2/music
I was getting the access denied on sonos (Using iPad) for a while, think I’d got the password and user name reversed or capitalised, can’t quite remember now. But is sound like you are 99% of the way there.

PMB

Apr 6, 2020, 4:31:18 AM4/6/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi David,

Try   \\192.168.1.127\music   (use your B2's IP) in the Sonos app.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Peter Lowham

Apr 6, 2020, 2:34:09 PM4/6/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi David,

Try using 'smb://192.168.1.50/music' (but substitute your B2's IP address for the example shown here.

The use of the 'smb' prefix in the string might force the Mac to talk to the Sonos in 'smb' mode.

Regards,
Peter.

David Appleton

Apr 7, 2020, 5:30:22 AM4/7/20
to Brennan Forum
Thanks but the typo was in the forum not the access panel, I typed it in correctly there

David Appleton

Apr 7, 2020, 5:31:39 AM4/7/20
to Brennan Forum
I have tried this several times and still get access denied,

David

David Appleton

Apr 7, 2020, 5:34:34 AM4/7/20
to Brennan Forum
thanks but when I try using smb when trying to add a NAS drive from Sonos it won't let me as the option to go to the panel where userid and password is required is not highlighted and therefore not an option.

David

Peter Lowham

Apr 7, 2020, 6:52:03 AM4/7/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi David,

I have just found the item below in a web search.  It describes the use of file-sharing between Apple and other devices.  In item 3 below, it shows how to choose a protocol on a file by file basis.  Can you check your shared music file and see if it is set for 'SMB' only?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Set advanced file sharing options

Use advanced file sharing options to set the protocol and other options for each shared file.

  1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, click Sharing, then select File Sharing.

  2. Control-click the name of the shared folder, then choose Advanced Options.

  3. Click the “Share over” pop-up menu, then choose a file sharing protocol:

    • SMB: Share folder over SMB.

    • AFP: Share folder over AFP.

    • SMB and AFP: Share folder over both SMB and AFP.

Regards,
Peter.

Peter Lowham

Apr 7, 2020, 8:09:09 AM4/7/20
to Brennan Forum

Hi David,

I missed out the last section of the instructions above (a bad cut & paste), so I have relisted the instructions below.

Set advanced file sharing options

Use advanced file sharing options to set the protocol and other options for each shared file.

  1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, click Sharing, then select File Sharing.

  2. Control-click the name of the shared folder, then choose Advanced Options.

  1. Click the “Share over” pop-up menu, then choose a file sharing protocol:

    • SMB: Share folder over SMB.

    • AFP: Share folder over AFP.

    • SMB and AFP: Share folder over both SMB and AFP.

  1. Note: Shared folders on APFS volumes are shared over SMB only.

  2. Select advanced options:

    • Allow guest users.

    • Only allow SMB encrypted connections.

    • Share as a Time Machine backup destination.

  3. Click OK.

Guests can access shared folders on your Mac. To turn off guest access, deselect “Allow guests to connect to shared folders” in the Guest Account pane of Users & Groups preferences.

Regards,

Peter.