Music Data Base Issues

Louis Brown

Jan 7, 2022, 10:33:39 AM1/7/22
to Brennan Forum
Good Morning Forum
I have a new Brennan B2 that I'm learning to use and I'm VERY pleased with the results so far. About the only issue I have is the DB search behavior when ripping CDs.

When ripping, my B2 finds full data on some CDs, but not all, and there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to which ones it finds and which ones it doesn't, even with the same artist. For example, it found 3 of my Phil Coulter CDs no problem but couldn't find another 4 from the same artist, including two of his later releases. About 40/60 find/no find.

I have down-loaded the mydb database file, but have not yet uploaded it to my B2.
Also,  I  find manual data entry to be very easy and straightforward when using the web UI, so this isn't a really pressing issue . (I might feel differently after a few hundred entries).

Any suggestions?

Christian Sunderland

Jan 7, 2022, 10:43:55 AM1/7/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Louis,

After uploading the mydb database file to my Brennan B2b I found that that the hit increased significantly, especially for older releases...

Christian

fred.w....@gmail.com

Jan 7, 2022, 11:32:06 AM1/7/22
to Brennan Forum
Just to be sure, you are aware of the "menu" of names that may be presented after lookup, the first name presented is not always correct!

Fred.

JFBUK

Jan 7, 2022, 12:04:35 PM1/7/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Louis,

an alternative is to rip on a computer with a CD drive and then upload to your B2 if that is an option for you.

John

JFBUK

Jan 7, 2022, 2:06:48 PM1/7/22
to Brennan Forum
I got a direct email from Louis

Thanks to all who replied so promptly!

I will get the mydb file installed and I was already planning to buy an external ripper. I’ll try ripping to my laptop as well.

So far, the right name either comes up at once, or not at all. But I do check.

Louis

PMB

Jan 9, 2022, 10:45:15 AM1/9/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Louis,

We use the online CD database provided by www.MusicBrainz.org. For the CDs that are not recognised you could check their site to see if they are listed.

Often the problem with CDs not being recognised is the MusicBrainz listing does not include a 'discid'.

You can add to the MusicBrainz database, if you feel so inclined.

Paul
Brennan Support.