USB will not download

Richard Terlisner

Oct 28, 2021, 7:36:36 AM10/28/21
to Brennan Forum
My Brennan will not downlowd from a USB.  I have tried both ports.  It did download from a USB once, but stopped.  I can see everything in the USB in the User Interface, no downloading.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Oct 28, 2021, 7:50:53 AM10/28/21
to Brennan Forum
The music on the USB needs to be in the correct folder structure, have you done this?
Fred.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Oct 28, 2021, 8:21:09 AM10/28/21
to Brennan Forum
I got this reply in my private email.
 I copied the individual folder containing a single album/cd to the USB.  Same as when the first USB was downloaded successfully.  I tried multiple USB devices, no luck.
NOTE - Please use the Forum and thread where you asked your question to reply. this enables others to see progress with the problem and help out with ideas to help.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Oct 28, 2021, 8:29:27 AM10/28/21
to Brennan Forum
OK

First have you formatted the USB device to be FAT32 - (the B2 can do this for you)

The folder structure must be
a.jpg

a.jpg
Fred

Daniel Taylor

Oct 28, 2021, 10:00:48 AM10/28/21
to Brennan Forum
rterl...
The way you post in the forum thread is to click/tap on the "Reply all" button at the bottom.  That will not send an email to everybody (just those who have chosen that option), but it will post in the thread you've started, so we can keep all the information available to anyone who wants to help and anyone who might benefit from the discussion.  Thanks.

Richard Terlisner

Oct 28, 2021, 10:17:58 AM10/28/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks gentlemen, I'll try your suggestions and see what happens.  Will also be sure to hit reply all in the future.

Richard Terlisner

Oct 28, 2021, 10:37:57 AM10/28/21
to Brennan Forum
Formatted USB to FAT32 using PC.  Put one album on USB.  Will still not download.  Tried using B2 to format USB.  Can't seem to do it.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Oct 28, 2021, 10:55:28 AM10/28/21
to Brennan Forum
From the front display and round knob
Main menu , settings, maintenance, FORMAT USB A or C

Fred

Richard Terlisner

Oct 28, 2021, 1:12:08 PM10/28/21
to Brennan Forum
No Luck.  Formatted using B2.  Inserted into PC to put album on,  PC gives error message there is a problem with USB and needs to be repaired.  Did this with 3 USB drives.  Nada, nil, zilch.

Have had it for less than a week, seems to be an issue right out of the box.  Getting somewhat frustrated.

Peter Lowham

Oct 28, 2021, 1:59:26 PM10/28/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Richard,

This situation looks like a bad case of fake cheap USB sticks.  If the PC is giving an error message while accessing the USB stick, then the problem is probably with the USB stick(s).  Did you buy the USB stick(s) from the Internet?

Below is a link to a forum article which describes how to test for fake USB sticks.

Regards,
Peter

Jeff. M.

Oct 28, 2021, 2:08:13 PM10/28/21
to Brennan Forum
My pc always gives an error message if a USB stick has formatted using the brennan! Just open it in file explorer and carry on as usual! Always works.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Oct 28, 2021, 2:50:52 PM10/28/21
to Brennan Forum
Yes, just ignore tbe PC's message and use the thing as normal.

Richard Terlisner

Oct 28, 2021, 2:53:34 PM10/28/21
to Brennan Forum
It is a SanDisk Cruzer Glide.  Sometimes I have a Lexar or PNY.  No cheap sticks since I transfer work documents, I learned that lesson before.

I have a Western Digital, 1 TB, Solid State Drive also.  I will try that to see if it works.

Richard Terlisner

Oct 28, 2021, 2:58:37 PM10/28/21
to Brennan Forum
Also, drives came from Office Depot, probably OK.  They have some on sale, I'll pick up another and see if that works.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Oct 28, 2021, 8:02:16 PM10/28/21
to Brennan Forum
OK but please note that when inserting a USB drive (that has been formatted on the B2) into a PC, it is normal to get Windows saying there is something wrong with it and that it needs to be "repaired" or "formatted" - IGNORE this and prove that it is OK by copying a file to the USB drive - you will see that this works OK. Delete this file then copy what you want to transfer to the B2 on to it.  Then, IMPORTANT - "Eject" the USB drive gracefully and when this is completed, unplug it and plug it into the B2.

Fred

Richard Terlisner

Nov 3, 2021, 5:27:31 PM11/3/21
to Brennan Forum
I have success!!!!!!!!!!!  Reformatted SSD with im-magic-formater, download started about 8:30am this morning and took 4-1/2 hours (over 4500 songs).

Now it says it is compressing to FLAC.  This looks to be very slow, could easily take overnight at the pace it is going.  Is this compressing the SSD or the disc on the unit?
Is this necessary or canI stop it?  If it is compressing the SSD files, then I do not want to stop it.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Nov 3, 2021, 5:48:15 PM11/3/21
to Brennan Forum
Just so that I understand what you are saying:-

1) you got an external, USB SSD device and got this formatted to FAT32 using (im-magic-formater)
2) you used the Brennan to import 4500 songs from the external, USB SSD which you connected to a USB port on the rear of the Brennan. AND that this worked OK.
3) the Brennan is now saying it is compressing to FLAC.

If the above is correct then the Brennan is compressing (to FLAC format) the 4500 files/songs that it/you copied  -   (from the external, USB SSD device connected to a USB port on its rear )  -   onto its internal disk (HDD).

Leave it to finish this process (yes it is slow)

The files on the SSD (that will still be there) will not be changed/compressed by the Brennan, it ONLY compresses the content on its internal disk.

Fred

Peter Lowham

Nov 3, 2021, 5:54:52 PM11/3/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Richard,

The B2 is compressing the files on its internal HDD.  You should let it run on until it is complete. This is a relatively slow process, but it will complete in its own time!  It is not compressing the files on the SSD device.

Regards,
Peter.

Richard Terlisner

Nov 3, 2021, 6:17:08 PM11/3/21
to Brennan Forum
the 3 steps are correct.  at the rate it is compressing, it should take 3-1/2 days to complete.  i guess i should leave the ssd in place until compression is complete

fred.w....@gmail.com

Nov 3, 2021, 9:13:48 PM11/3/21
to Brennan Forum
No if you want to you can interrupt the compression process safely. Press an hold in the stop/play button on the front of the B2 , it will come up " saving" on the front screen at which point release the button and wait for the screen to revert to displaying the time. You can then power off the B2 and remove the USB device.
To resume compression just power up the B2 again and leave it alone for a bit. When it has been 'idle' for a period, compression will resume automatically where it left off. OR you can use the front menu system to compress now as a command.
When co.pressing, doing anything with the B2 will interrupt the compression until it becomes idle again. It is best just let the compression task complete!

Fred

Richard Terlisner

Nov 5, 2021, 4:44:34 PM11/5/21
to Brennan Forum
I am sending the unit back since it is not functioning properly.  Can I just stop the compression and shut the unit off?  I don't want to lose what is on the SSD.

Also, I just got a new unit in the mail (UPS)!!!!!   I'm psyched to get stuff loaded and see how this unit is.  I'm such a friggin' audio junkie, it drives my wife nuts.  Numerous Snell & Advent speakers, 3 turntables, receivers, power amps, pre-amps, cables, DAC's, etc.  I could open an audio store.  But kids these days don't know what they are missing.

Peter Lowham

Nov 6, 2021, 7:13:14 AM11/6/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Richard,

You can stop the compression as described above.  I you then run an 'Export', the B2 will copy ALL music files (that are not already on the SSD) over to your SSD USB device, including the uncompressed files.  The 'Export' process does not discriminate on file types; it just copies whatever files are in the B2 over to the USB backup device.

Regards,
Peter.

Richard Terlisner

Nov 6, 2021, 7:54:10 AM11/6/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks.  Now I can import to the new device.

Peter Lowham

Nov 6, 2021, 8:16:26 AM11/6/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Richard,

I forgot to let you know that when the Import completes on your new B2, it will begin compressing the uncompressed files again during its standby periods.

Regards,
Peter.