B2 Not Updating Sofware- Read all the other threads and still can't get it!

Richard Schwartz

Jun 5, 2020, 11:58:51 AM6/5/20
to Brennan Forum
I have a B2 with the micro SD chip, a 2TB model.   It seems to be stuck on an April 26,2019 version of the software.

1- I went to Latest Software tab on the Brenan B2 website.  Clicked on THIS FILE and got the b2.tar.gz file from that location.
2- I formatted an older 500MB USB drive to FAT32 (used FAT32 format from Ridgecrop) and copied b2.tar.gz to the root directory.
Its the only file on the USB after the formating.
3-  I used placed the USB into the C USB slot
4-  Went to Maintenance menu on B2 selected Software Upgrade.
5-  B2 says, Loading then rebooting
6-  Brought up web interface.   Clicked on gear and looked at software version.   Still says April 26, 2019.

I want to be able to use the new Librespot program but can't get the software updated to get to an Advanced function menu.
There is no advanced function meuu in the April 26,2019 version of the B2 software that I can see.

Is there a USB chip to update directly other then the small micro USB chip which only has about 32MB on it?

Peter Lowham

Jun 5, 2020, 12:16:18 PM6/5/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Richard,

Just to be entirely sure, can you use your B2 remote control, from the Main menu, click on 'Info' button twice and then report back on the version number shown in the B2 display?

Regarding the 'Advanced' function menu, that was introduced in the last few months.  This makes it a good reason to upgrade regularly as there are new features being added constantly.

Regards,
Peter.

Richard Schwartz

Jun 5, 2020, 12:36:00 PM6/5/20
to Brennan Forum
Yes... I just used the remote, clicked on the INFO button twice and the display on the B2 also agrees with the Web UI that it's April 26, 2019 software.   I do have a second B2 that's a 480 version that is working correctly.    Could I swap the micro chip between the two units or copy one to the other?

Peter Lowham

Jun 5, 2020, 12:38:22 PM6/5/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Richard,

I have now read your post more thoroughly and realise what you are doing more fully, and now understand why the upgrade process is not working.

The version of software that you are running is too old to be updated through the 'Upgrade' process.  What you will need to do is to rebuild your microSD card from a later 'base' image file, and then 'Web Upgrade' the 'base' version to the latest version, followed by a final update to get the 'Librespot' version.

This all sounds rather painful but the whole operation from start to finish can be done in less than 45 minutes, including opening the B2 to get the microSD card out for the rebuild.

If you want to try this, then let me know and I'll post the complete instruction set here.  I have already done this for 3 other users who all reported a successful outcome.

You wil need either a microSD card to USB adapter or a PC with a microSD card slot already present.

Regards,
Peter.

Richard Schwartz

Jun 5, 2020, 6:53:47 PM6/5/20
to Brennan Forum
Yes. I would like to do this process. Please send it to me or post it. My other B-2 also has a current software system on it albeit it is 480 GB vs the one I need to fix is 2TB. Is it easier just to copy the micro SD contents from the one that works to the the other SD card or is it just as easy to rebuild the one that has the old software system ?

Seems mike rebuilding it would save me the time of opening up the back of the one that works.

Richard Schwartz

Jun 5, 2020, 6:54:56 PM6/5/20
to Brennan Forum
Forgot to say that I do have a micro SD adapter to usb / SD card. No problem there. Also can handle the technical issues.

Peter Lowham

Jun 5, 2020, 7:17:54 PM6/5/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Richard,

It will be much easier to rebuild the microSD card from this procedure than it would be to copy from your other B2.  Here are the instructions which will get you to a much better place, all being well!

SD card rebuild process

It is reasonably straight-forward to do, although it looks a bit scary when you look at the instructions.  Below is a link to those instructions. Look in the left hand panel of the webpage and scroll down to 'New SD Card'.

There are two download links; one for 'balenaEtcher' and the other for 'B2BNOV2019.zip' file.  These are all you need to rebuild your microSD card.

I have boiled the instructions down into a series of summary steps below, which hopefully be of help to you.  I did these recently for another forum member who had the same problem.

1. Download & install 'balenaEtcher' on your PC/Mac
2. Download B2BNOV2019.zip to your PC
3. Plug new microSD card into PC
4. Start up 'balenaEtcher' application on PC
5. Point 'balenaEtcher' to the B2BNOV2019.zip file  (DON'T unzip the file)
6. Click on balenaEtcher 'Start' button

Takes 'balenaEtcher a few minutes to flash and verify the SD card.

7. Install the newly built microSD card into the B2.
8. Power up the B2.
9. Check on software version which should show as 'B2B Nov 06 2019'.
10. Run a 'Web Upgrade' to get the latest software on the Brennan website.
11. Reboot B2.
12. Run a software version check - should now show 'B2B Jun 02 2020' (or something near this date).
13. Run 'Setting' --> 'Maintenance' --> 'Advanced' --> ''Get Librespot' .
14. Reboot B2.
15. Run a software version check - should still show 'B2B Jun 02 2020' (or something near this date).

So from a bare SD card to full upgrade should take less than 45 minutes to complete.

Regards,
Peter.

Richard Schwartz

Jun 6, 2020, 8:33:11 AM6/6/20
to Brennan Forum
Sounds fairly straightforward to do. Does it matter what the capacity in GB the new blank micro SD card is that I use for the rebuild? When complete should I copy the newly created on onto the old one and use the old one or trash the old one? Isn’t the original one small like 32MB in capacity?

I’ll get going on this today. Thanks for the great support !

PS- After this adventure I’ll be more dilligent about the web updates!

Daniel Taylor

Jun 6, 2020, 9:14:05 AM6/6/20
to Brennan Forum
Richard,
The space needed for the B2 operating system is not terribly large.  An SD card of 10 MB should do quite nicely.  However, I found it difficult to find one that small.  The smallest I could find was 16 GB, and it has been working well.  Whatever the size you get, anything beyond the needed capacity will just be wasted space.  That is, unless you do analog line in recording, which is stored on the SD card.  For those who do much of that sort of thing, I'd think the added space might be handy.

Richard Schwartz

Jun 6, 2020, 10:40:24 AM6/6/20
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Daniel. I have a 16GB card. Just was concerned when I looked at the capacity of the one of the board that it wouldn’t work with a larger capacity one.

Peter Lowham

Jun 6, 2020, 1:45:44 PM6/6/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Richard,

I echo Daniel's observations about the size of the micdoSD cards; the B2 will support much larger sizes without any problem, but the 16GB card will be more than ample for this operation. I would be inclined to just use the newly rebuild card and keep the original as a spare.  The simpler the better!

Anyway, good luck with your rebuild. Let us know how you get on.

Regards,
Peter.

Richard Schwartz

Jun 6, 2020, 4:22:44 PM6/6/20
to Brennan Forum
Worked great!   First time.   Very easy.. only took 30 mins.   The instructions were very easy to follow.   Got the chip built and Libraspot loaded and am onto testing out the app to Spotify.    Thanks again for the great support.    This support group is very very useful for answers and ideas from your other users.   I am also using the playlist creator and love that!

Peter Lowham

Jun 6, 2020, 5:26:41 PM6/6/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Richard,

That's great and thanks for the feedback.

Regards,
Peter.