Backup and Bus speeds.

linda hoyland

Jan 15, 2021, 6:53:16 AM1/15/21
to Brennan Forum
Further to my question on hardware upgrades I want to know how, or what is the best approach to downloading your backup file from the B2? I have 600 albums with approx. 9000 tracks, these are saved as wav as my choice. I add tracks on a weekly basis and backup every couple of week using two drives alternately in case of a glitch.
I feel the speed needs to be increased to bring it in line with more recent technology, can this be done?
Also i use Mp3 format files saved at 320mbps  in my portable devices, This is not the best  but a whole deal better than 180, so why does the B2 not do this when my old Jb7 does? This would be very handy if the conversion could be done as a download to an external drive? or is that pushing it?
I do use BOTH backup options as this allows better access to my files.
Thanks in advance for your answers.

Daniel Taylor

Jan 15, 2021, 7:36:43 AM1/15/21
to Brennan Forum
If speed and higher bitrate are prime concerns, I suggest the following:  Rip on your computer to 320kbps.  Then copy to both your backup drives and to a USB stick for Importing the music onto the B2.  I do that myself, with the exception that I rip to FLAC instead of MP3.

linda hoyland

Jan 17, 2021, 10:08:31 AM1/17/21
to Brennan Forum
This is exactly what I do as this also allows me to use my JB7 without the faf of double loading, however even though I am using a Surface pro with an i7 it takes around 5 hours to complete ,and this is using an internally mounted mem card and an external drive with lots of memory.
My question still stands, why not give the B2 the capability to convert to 320 mbps Mp3? this would be directly compatible to the JB7, and would it not be a good idea to be able to download to an external drive directly converting to mp3  (at 320)? Yes i realise It would be asking a lot but is it possible If not probable?
Part of my problem is of my own doing as i want to stay in wav format, the jb7 will not recognise this so needs to be in Mp3. I do think the higher levels of compression used with the older machine compromise music quality too much!
If the B2 compressed to 320 i would probably buy another B2.

linda hoyland

Jan 17, 2021, 10:13:32 AM1/17/21
to Brennan Forum
Apologies: just realised i am quoting Mp3 in mbps not Kbps.