Stand-by function from "Menu" option on the B2

Mikey Jay

Aug 17, 2020, 1:59:54 PM8/17/20
to Brennan Forum
Apologies if this has already been discussed but I've scoured the recent (and not so recent posts) and cannot find any detail.  Following a recent failure of my B2 and the need to return it for repair, I got in the habit when shutting it down and powering it off to first select "saving" followed by placing it in Stand-by from the top level Menu option but the latter seems to have disappeared.  I'm sure I read somewhere in the past that this was the correct procedure to switch the B2 off thus avoiding any corruption to the disc structure.  Is this no longer the case or should I be delving deeper into the menu in order to achieve this?  I've downloaded the latest software by the way.

Daniel Taylor

Aug 17, 2020, 4:31:12 PM8/17/20
to Brennan Forum
The proper shut-down procedure is to press and hold the STOP button until the word SAVING appears on the display.  Then release the button.  When the word SAVING disappears and the clock comes back, then it is in Standby and it's safe to turn off power.

I see that the Standby command is shown on the Brennan website page for the Menu list.  And I see it on my B2's top level menu.  So I guess you could do it that way too.

Daniel Taylor

Aug 17, 2020, 4:33:14 PM8/17/20
to Brennan Forum
I just tried the Standby command.  It didn't display SAVING.  But I'd imagine that being in Standby, it would be safe to turn off the power.  It just might not have saved any recently changed settings you might have.

PMB

Aug 18, 2020, 6:02:41 AM8/18/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Daniel,

AFAIK 'Standby' doesn't do a 'save' but does make sure the B2 isn't accessing the HDD or SD Card, which should reduce the chances of corrupting either when power is removed.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Mikey Jay

Aug 19, 2020, 4:39:34 AM8/19/20
to Brennan Forum
But that's the problem - I can't see the Stand-by function any more since I upgraded the latest software.  Pressing the MENU button used to display BROWSE ALBUMS then I used to scroll down on the remote and BROWSE ARTISTS followed next by STANDBY.  Now this does not appear and the sequence is BROWSE ARTISTS followed by USB FUNCTIONS i.e. STANDBY is no longer an option in the top level.  So where's it gone?

Mikey Jay

Aug 19, 2020, 5:01:53 AM8/19/20
to Brennan Forum
Problem solved.  For some reason last week I could not carry out a Web Upgrade and so went to the B2 page and downloaded an update on to my USB stick and used that.  Seeing as it said "July" I looked no further but if I had I'd have read it said "Jul 2018".  I've now carried out another Web upgrade (which worked!) and the following is displayed Software Version B2 Jul 21 2020 07:58:58.    Needless to say "Standby" has reappeared.  Sorry to waste your time.  DOH!  Thanks guys - at least it got my grey matter working.

Mikey Jay

Aug 19, 2020, 5:35:42 AM8/19/20
to Brennan Forum
BTW - that "bs.tar.gz" file I downloaded was date stamped 29/08/2018 so needs to go I respectfully suggest.

PMB

Aug 20, 2020, 3:19:30 AM8/20/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Mikey,