Wish List: WebUI with no computer? HDMI video, USB/Bluetooth keyboard & mouse

RandyT

Aug 2, 2021, 10:15:27 AM8/2/21
to Brennan Forum

I've been a forum member for a while now but have never seen anyone post this in the wish list section. It's no secret that a Raspberry Pi is a standalone mini-computer or computer on a chip. You add power, keyboard & mouse plus a monitor and you're good to go. I almost exclusively use my B2 via the WebUI. I'm curious about the HDMI output jack on the back and its audio only output.

 Would it be possible to change that HDMI jack to a video output to drive a monitor? My audio output is either wired in speakers or optical output to my main system. Then via USB jack or Bluetooth, add a keyboard and mouse? The ultimate goal would be a B2 WebUI that would not need a computer. The RPi is already generating the video content of sorts for the current WebUI. I think this would add tremendous versatility to the B2 to not need a computer as a "middle man."

I'm certain this is not as easy as I make it sound.

hbu...@gmail.com

Aug 2, 2021, 1:19:50 PM8/2/21
to Brennan Forum
Is the WebUI via a phone not adequare?

RandyT

Aug 2, 2021, 1:35:37 PM8/2/21
to Brennan Forum
Heavens no. While the phone app is convenient, it simply doesn't have the convenient full functionality the WebUI has. Also, that's dependent upon having your phone with you. My thought is to maintain the WebUI and get the computer out of the loop, while taking advantage of the original built-in functions of the Raspberry Pi.

Daniel Taylor

Aug 2, 2021, 3:15:37 PM8/2/21
to Brennan Forum
I use the HDMI output for audio.  I've found that when my TV is on and set to the right input, there is limited UI info set to it from the B2, plus debug information.  It's not really a User Interface, but there is some info there.

Daniel Taylor

Aug 2, 2021, 3:17:58 PM8/2/21
to Brennan Forum
The main problem I see for making the HDMI port have a UI, is that there is no standardized way (that I know of) for sending commands from the video monitor to the B2.  But you could use the remote to send commands and the TV to see what's playing.  I'm sure the information sent out the port could be augmented to be more useful.

PMB

Aug 3, 2021, 5:21:48 AM8/3/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi RandyT,

The video output via HDMI was originally added to provide a debug monitor display and as uptake/interest was very low it has never been updated or worked on since.

I think it very unlikely it will be be developed further.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Evan Urkofsky

Aug 9, 2021, 8:55:14 PM8/9/21
to Brennan Forum
I just got my B2 today, and was hella surprised that there's no GUI out from HDMI. I don't want to have to go to my PC, or stare at my phone screen, to browse and play. I need to consider if I'm going to keep the unit, with this limitation. Between this, and not being able to see any routers with the only supplied dongle (I had to go withwith Ethernet), a disappointing unboxing, for sure.

PMB

Aug 10, 2021, 5:53:04 AM8/10/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi shme...,

The HDMI (TV) output doesn't provide a UI - debug monitoring and a basic display of track info only - as you have discovered you do have to use your computer/laptop/tablet/phone to access the UI.

The supplied dongle should connect to most 2.4GHz networks. The B2 can be a little fussy about signal level so try moving it closer to the router while setting up.

Paul
Brennan Support.

RandyT

Aug 10, 2021, 12:02:16 PM8/10/21
to Brennan Forum
If I'm not mistaken, those USB jacks are supposed to support a keyboard & mouse as input devices. No input from monitor required.

JFBUK

Aug 10, 2021, 12:25:52 PM8/10/21
to Brennan Forum
Randy,

the B2 is sold as a headless audio streaming device which just happens to have a Raspberry Pi as its processing core.

Its a one box solution.

In fact I have not encountered a commercially available streaming device that is anything other than headless.

All depend on a web interface, physical controls on the device , or a remote.

I can understand that some users would like the flexibility of other ways of interfacing and managing their device but in my view if that's what you want then
maybe the B2 is not the best solution.

John

Mike W

Aug 10, 2021, 1:07:24 PM8/10/21
to Brennan Forum
Maybe I'm just being a bit thick but how would you have interactive input into the tv to do anything once you have the gui displayed? And why is this easier than just using phone/tablet?

Thanks
Mike

Evan Urkofsky

Aug 10, 2021, 2:12:57 PM8/10/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul:

Yes, I had the B2 3 feet away from my router, line-of-sight, and the unit did not pick up a single access point, of which there are probably 20 in my building. Fortunately, I have flat Ethernet cables lying around. Still, disappointing.

Thanks

Evan Urkofsky

Aug 10, 2021, 2:14:14 PM8/10/21
to Brennan Forum
Why does it have to be interactive? Can it just display the web GUI, and use the remote for interactivity...?

RandyT

Aug 10, 2021, 2:19:11 PM8/10/21
to Brennan Forum
Don't get me wrong. I love my B2 and use it ALL THE TIME
I simply started this thread asking if it was possible for the B2 to use the built-in functions of the RPi and taking, what amounts to a second computer, out of accessing the Web U.I.

Daniel Taylor

Aug 10, 2021, 2:49:55 PM8/10/21
to Brennan Forum
I think Randy's point is certainly valid.  But Paul from Brennan Support has pretty much laid this question to rest.  Not going to happen.

It's my understanding that the Raspberry Pi boards are designed with the target audience being hobbyists.  There are those who have designed and built their own music players/servers.  So if you want that feature badly enough, you can roll your own.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Aug 11, 2021, 4:10:18 AM8/11/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi shme

Your unit not being able to see any WiFi is a separate issue, if you want help with this, look at other Treads on the forum for similar experiences (an how they were resolved) and if required start a new thread with this as the subject heading.

Fred

JFBUK

Aug 11, 2021, 9:17:45 AM8/11/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi All,

I had another thought on the display question.

If you have a smart TV or, a TV/Monitor with a smart tv box connected, and are able to to run a browser app on the TV then you can display the Web GUI there whilst controlling the B2 in another way i.e. front panel,  remote, or even on a hand held device such as your phone using the Web UI or Brennan app.

Its not perfect but it does give you at least some sort of bigger display if that's what you are looking for.

I found that the full original Web UI does not refresh the search panel , playlists , or the artist and album lists on the right but when you change track the what's playing window is refreshed.

For this reason I think the best option is to choose the mobile Web UI option for display on a TV.

I took a picture of my TV but the quality is not great because of ambient reflections.

My test was using the 'Silk' Browser on my Amazon Fire TV box which is connected to my TV.

Fire TV has a crude mouse emulation using its remote which works but can be tedious.

Its not something I will use as my B2 is in a different room to my TV.

thumbnail_IMG_20210811_134842656.jpg

John

Evan Urkofsky

Aug 11, 2021, 3:35:26 PM8/11/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi John:

I had thought of casting to my Apple TV from my iPad. I like that you got it to work. Maybe I'll try that...

Thanks