Will the Sonos Connect ZP90 do what I need?

Peter Howarth

Feb 1, 2022, 12:37:26 PM2/1/22
to Brennan Forum
I do not have any Sonos speakers, and I do not want to buy any because I have a number of better-quality amplifiers and speakers in various rooms around the house.

Unfortunately I cannot get a bluetooth signal in some rooms, and I want an alternative wire-free method of transmitting a signal from my B2 to an amplifier in another room.

From what I can gather, the early Sonos Connect ZP90 was designed to do just what I want.  A signal was sent to the Connect from a transmitter (called a Sonos ZoneBridge) which was itself linked to the source, and the output from the Connect was then fed into an amplifier.

I understand that most people use their B2 with Sonos speakers, and in this way the B2 is acting like the (ZoneBridge+Source) inasmuch as the music in the B2 is transmitted to the speaker.

The description of setting up the ZP90 includes the need to have both it and the source connected to a router, and as I have ethernet cabling in the house I can do this.

Paul has suggested I contact the forum to see if anyone can tell me
1) Is this description correct?
2) Will the B2 send a signal to the ZP90, and if so how do I get it to do so?

Apologies for my ignorance of Sonos.

Peter

John Grimoldy

Feb 1, 2022, 12:47:48 PM2/1/22
to Brennan Forum
Peter,

I'd highly recommend at least going with the S2 version of the Connect.  These will be far less problematic.  The S1 version of the Connect is quite obsolete.  The S2 is at least still supported though discontinued.  Also, the S2 won't require a Sonos Bridge.

The Connect will look like and behave like a Sonos speaker in the Sonos app.  It will have a slider for volume as well as sliders for balance, bass, and treble.

As I've mentioned in other threads, I recommend using the Brennan as a NAS and setting up as Music Library in the Sonos app.  It just works better with greater functionality.

I have Sonos in every room of my home in addition to Connect Amps feeding outdoor speakers.  I'm happy to help familiarize with Sonos.

-jg

JFBUK

Feb 1, 2022, 3:45:22 PM2/1/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter,

Some thoughts on alternatives.
What network connectivity do your existing amplifiers and speakers have ?
Is control of playback via the Brennan app or the Web UI when listening on the “remote” setups essential ?
Depending on the connectivity of your other setups you could access the B2 as NAS and control playback by a suitable app.
Have you also thought about using an increased range Bluetooth transmitter to reach your difficult locations ?

John

Peter Howarth

Feb 2, 2022, 4:10:46 AM2/2/22
to Brennan Forum
jg, John, thanks for the replies.

John, I guess your solution requires a computer in the other room as an alternative to the Connect.  This wouldn't be controlled by my 'phone (which I now use for the B2) so although it would work it is still sub-optimal.

jg, I'd like to take up your offer of help next week if I need it, and from what you say it seems that my understanding of the Connect is correct.  Just one thing puzzles me, which is that you say the S2 won't require a Sonos Bridge.  Surely the ZP90 won't require one if the B2 is transmitting the signal (which is what the bridge does).

To put my request for information into context, I have no real need for a B2 outlet in another room, it would just be nice.  I can get a bluetooth signal in some rooms, and again it would be nice to do away with the time delay but not essential.  Consequently I don't want to spend £200+ on the latest Connect when I can source a ZP90 for under £30 on the internet.

Cheers

Peter

John Grimoldy

Feb 2, 2022, 10:11:54 AM2/2/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter,

Depending on how far back we go in the historical Sonos product line, my familiarity gets a little fuzzy.  In the wayyyy back a Sonos Bridge was needed to get Sonos products on WiFi.  How far back?  I really don't know.  To give greater context, I picked up a Gen-1 (a.k.a. S1) Connect Amp from a thrift store several months ago for $100.  'Thought it was a great deal.  'Didn't realize it was an S1 at the time.  If won't play nice-nice with the rest of my system that's all S2.  If I installed the S1 Sonos App on my iPhone, I could attach it to my WiFi without a Bridge (marginally nice).  The device cannot be upgraded to S2 (though I could trade it in for a hefty discount).  I've not experimented with it much since it can't be incorporated with the rest of my S2 system.  I may experiment with it a little more soon to see what S1s can do with my Brennan.  I'm simply recommending an S2 version of the Connect to potentially remove a headache.  Given the rather extreme price difference you mentioned, I fully understand the desire to go with the S1.  This is all getting me much more curious.  I'm going to fire up my S1 Connect Amp later today to see what can be done.

-jg

John Grimoldy

Feb 2, 2022, 12:41:25 PM2/2/22
to Brennan Forum
Peter,

'Just blew the dust off my S1 Connect Amp and configured it with the Sonos S1 iPhone app.  It's been a while since I've used the S1 app.  It does include the capability of attaching to my Brennan B2 as a NAS under the Music Library setting in the Sonos app.  I presume the Brennan will also see it as a Sonos speaker if I wanted to push from the Brennan App / web page.  I don't see it listed at present; I only see my S2 components.  I really don't want to go down the rabbit's hole of fiddling with that on the Brennan side, though it should work.  Instead, using the Brennan as a NAS / Music Library on with Sonos S1 should be sufficient (and better).

tl;dr: An S1 Connect should work for you like you're hoping (and at a super-reasonable price).

Cheers,
-jg