Using the colours, perhaps?

Keith Langton

Sep 4, 2021, 9:05:29 AM9/4/21
to Brennan Forum
Good afternoon everyone - nice to be a member of this group as I’m busy ripping my CDs onto my new B2.
I have a question which some kind soul may help me with and save me lots of time.
My wife wants her CDs ripped to the B2 as well as all of mine - is there a simple way of designating her CDs and my CDs (I promise you there are absolutely none in both camps, lol) so that we can easily identify the two?

TIA

Daniel Taylor

Sep 4, 2021, 9:18:12 AM9/4/21
to Brennan Forum
Your title to this thread suggests one possible solution.  Create one playlist each for your CDs and her CDs.  If you use one of the colours, you can rename them.  When I renamed mine, I kept the colour name in parentheses so as to know what it was originally.  e.g. Rock (Red)

JFBUK

Sep 4, 2021, 9:25:47 AM9/4/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Keith,

as suggested by your post title, the way you could achieve this is playlists.

I don't know how many CDs you have each but creating two mega playlists called 'Keith' and 'My Darling Wife' and adding the relevant CDs to each would give you a top level grouping but as described on the Brennan website you can create a playlist from other playlists so I would give some thought about how you each want to structure your collections.

John

Rob Harriman

Sep 4, 2021, 9:51:54 AM9/4/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Keith,
I am puzzled as to why you need to separate your CD collection from your wife's.  What are you hoping to achieve?
Playlists just reside as files on top of the music collection and restrict the music they play, but they don't keep the underlying music separated.
Both your wife and you will see all the CDs regardless.
Do you have a specific aim in mind?
Rob

Keith Langton

Sep 4, 2021, 12:55:23 PM9/4/21
to Brennan Forum
Ok, thanks for the suggestions and thoughts.
Sorry, Rob, I think I PM’d you instead of replying here.
I’m now thinking that as I have many more CDs than my wife, what might work would be to simply put all of her CDs in a playlist so that she could work with them and this would save my having to add all of my CDs to another playlist.
Sorry if this has all appeared a bit half-arsed, I’m still trying to work out the basics of the B2.
Thanks for help.

Keith Langton

Sep 4, 2021, 1:03:16 PM9/4/21
to Brennan Forum
Ok, next question - can I rip directly to a specific playlist or do I need to rip first and then move the entry?

Rob Harriman

Sep 4, 2021, 1:37:44 PM9/4/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Keith
My understanding is that you cannot rip directly to a playlist.
You organise your music into playlists after it's been ripped and compressed.
It would be worth you checking out the brennan web site before you go any further with organising things on your B2.
There's a lot of good information there.

Some basic things to be aware of are - Sorry if this is stuff you already know:
Don't try to do more than one thing at a time on the B2. It can become corrupted or confused. e.g. Don't play music when ripping.
Don't rip more than 20-30 Cds at a time - Let them compress before doing more ripping. Done automatically when the B2 has been idle for a few minutes.
If you keep the web-ui open, the B2 doesn't go into standby so will not compress automatically.
Plan to backup your B2, sooner rather than later,  to ensure that you don't have to rebuild it from scratch if a disk failure occurs.
Hope this helps.
Rob

Keith Langton

Sep 4, 2021, 2:04:09 PM9/4/21
to Brennan Forum
Brilliant advice, many thanks Rob.

Rob Harriman

Sep 4, 2021, 2:18:53 PM9/4/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi all,

Keith has pm'd me to say that his wife would like to randomise her music without including his music.

This puts a different complexion on things because, as far as I am aware, random play works at the base music level and not at the playlist level.
Also the B2 disk is treated as a single music library and not separated between his and hers.

I know the Blacklist playlist is designed to allow you to not have unwanted music play when playing randomly but this would require all of Keith's music to be added to the blacklist, which would then not play if he wanted to play music randomly. So not an ideal solution here.

Does anybody know of a way to achieve this, short of them having his and her B2s?

Rob

Daniel Taylor

Sep 4, 2021, 2:23:18 PM9/4/21
to Brennan Forum
I'm under the impression that you can play randomly within a playlist.  I seem to remember reading not too long ago that that feature was broken.  Can anyone else shed some light on that situation?  At any rate, I think that random within playlist is supposed to work.

Rob Harriman

Sep 4, 2021, 2:39:23 PM9/4/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Daniel,
I don't tend to use playlists, preferring instead to listen to albums, so I stand corrected. Thanks.
I've just done a quick test and got a playlist to play randomly.
So, if Keith setup a playlist containing all his wife's music she could play that randomly and none of his music would be included.
Hopefully a recipe for domestic bliss.
Cheers,
Rob

Kevin Murnane

Sep 4, 2021, 5:37:59 PM9/4/21
to Brennan Forum
Our playlists are designed to be randomized and we haven't had any problems thus far. Toggle randomization on, click any track in the playlist (bottom left corner of the old WebUI) and off you go. Have never experienced an intrusion from outside the playlist.

--Kevin