Character Substitution

David Richards

Jul 9, 2020, 12:18:23 PM7/9/20
to Brennan Forum
I can't find the relevant thread, but there was a recent problem with a backward single quote in file names causing problems. I haven't tried it myself, but I did spot that in Exact Audio Copy (EAC) under EAC->Options->Character Replacements tab it is possible to selectively replace characters in filenames. I hope this may be of use to anybody having bad character problems.
DR

Peter Lowham

Jul 9, 2020, 12:41:49 PM7/9/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi David,

It was me who posted that the 'reverse single quote' character was causing the 'flac+mp3' option to stop compressing.  Once I had found the cause of the problem, I used 'Notepad++' to open the 'b2db' file on the B2 and to do a  'search and count' of that character.

Search the forum for "'flac+mp3' option; Bug Report" (without the double quotes) if you want to see the details.

Notepad++ found 21 of the little blighters (in a collection of 20,000 tracks), so a quick edit of those file names and the compression just started up of its own accord. It has been running happily for 7 days now, with another 7 days to go.

Thanks for the tip, that will be very useful.

Regards,
Peter.

Daniel Taylor

Jul 9, 2020, 3:38:26 PM7/9/20
to Brennan Forum
It's interesting that the compression from WAV to FLAC apparently had no problem with the backwards single quote, while the compression to MP3 did.