Album info not appearing via NAS from B2

Robert Brignall

Aug 25, 2021, 4:50:08 PM8/25/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi all,

I recently added a pair of Sonos speakers to my setup, and decided to set them up to access Brennan via NAS.

All worked fine, except for the following issue: any ripped CDs that were not recognised when they were ripped (so initially got ripped as, e.g. "Album 383") are filed under "Unknown artist" on Sonos, even though I have since renamed them (via the web interface).

In case it matters, I couldn't tell you whether I renamed them before or after compressing to FLAC, but I suspect it was afterwards.

Interestingly,  the same happens on another player where I access Brennan via NAS (from my mobile phone), which suggests to me that there is some NAS-specific file listing which isn't properly updated. I've tried clearing up, re-scanning the HDD, turning NAS off-and-on-again, upgrading the software, all to no avail.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Robert

JFBUK

Aug 26, 2021, 3:54:30 AM8/26/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Robert,

Can I clarify.

Are you saying you cannot see  the additional  tracks when you look at the folders in NAS on your computer or is it a symptom  you are seeing just with your Sonos setup ?

John

Chris Buckle

Aug 26, 2021, 4:13:01 AM8/26/21
to Brennan Forum
I don’t know but, given what has been previously talked about on this forum, when you rename on the Brennan you are only changing the folder and filenames. Sonos doesn’t use these to identify a track but uses the tags embedded in the Flac file. If the album was originally ‘unknown’ then these would not have been populated by the Brennan.

Chris

PMB

Aug 26, 2021, 4:18:47 AM8/26/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Robert,

Sonos is looking for Tags - try 'Retag Album' from the Album menu - only available using the front control. You'll have to refresh the library on the Sonos app as well.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Robert Brignall

Aug 26, 2021, 4:19:43 AM8/26/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi John,

Sorry for being vague: I can see all the tracks on all the albums, but with whatever names they had when the CD was ripped (rather than with what they were renamed to). So, for example, a completely unrecognised CD is appearing in Sonos as "Album 383" (or whatever), under "Unknown artist".

JFBUK

Aug 26, 2021, 4:22:18 AM8/26/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Chris,

 😀😀
That sounds like the probable diagnosis.

Robert,

 You will need to edit with something like MP3Tag for those tracks in order for your Sonos to see them.
One of us on here can offer advice on using it if you need help with that.

John

Peter Karetnyk

Aug 26, 2021, 4:27:53 AM8/26/21
to Brennan Forum
That does seem correct, as I have 1 album via sonos that is album 282 in unknown but it is not in b2 as I renamed it and ran scan disc so b2 OK but sonos still not, even after sonos rescan for updates every day.
Looks like I will have to try as well.
Regards
PK

RandyT

Aug 26, 2021, 9:42:49 AM8/26/21
to Brennan Forum
I don't use Sonos but I'm wondering if this will apply to my backed up HD files. I've edited quite a few Unknown Album xxx CDs when ripping. Without digging thru all those files on my backup hard drive, what's a best guess what they look like?

Paul's input regarding RETAG ALBUM might help this but then I suppose my backup would need a complete refresh to capture all those updated file tags. Correct?
Thanks y'all.
Randy

Robert Brignall

Aug 26, 2021, 9:51:53 AM8/26/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul,

Sonos is looking for Tags - try 'Retag Album' from the Album menu - only available using the front control. You'll have to refresh the library on the Sonos app as well.

Perfect, that works nicely! It also creates an exciting new game where I have to try to recognise the album from the first few seconds of the first track...

Is there a way to ask Brennan to retag the whole collection as a batch, rather than album-by-album?  The number of completely unrecognised albums I have is not too large (20 or 30), but there are many, many others where I tidied up the "artist" name (usually a proxy for composer in my case), which ideally would appear in the same manner on Sonos.

Robert

Paul
Brennan Support.

On Thursday, August 26, 2021 at 9:13:01 AM UTC+1  wrote:
I don’t know but, given what has been previously talked about on this forum, when you rename on the Brennan you are only changing the folder and filenames. Sonos doesn’t use these to identify a track but uses the tags embedded in the Flac file. If the album was originally ‘unknown’ then these would not have been populated by the Brennan.

Chris

On Thursday, 26 August 2021 at 08:54:30 UTC+1 JFBUK wrote:
Hi Robert,

Can I clarify.

Are you saying you cannot see  the additional  tracks when you look at the folders in NAS on your computer or is it a symptom  you are seeing just with your Sonos setup ?

John

JFBUK

Aug 26, 2021, 10:15:57 AM8/26/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Robert,

this already exists

>SETTINGS>MAINTENANCE>TAG MUSIC

I have never used it but it is flagged on the Brennan website as being slow and a backup is recommended before starting.

Time taken will of course be determined by how many albums you have in your collection

John

Robert Brignall

Aug 26, 2021, 10:21:25 AM8/26/21
to Brennan Forum
On Thursday, 26 August 2021 at 15:15:57 UTC+1 JFBUK wrote:
Hi Robert,

this already exists

>SETTINGS>MAINTENANCE>TAG MUSIC

Ah, great stuff! Yes, a backup before I start this (the one-album-at-a-time re-tagging is also marked as experimental, so I've not embarked on doing this either, except on a couple of albums to test).

From what I can see, if the album was renamed before compression to FLAC, then all is fine. In a couple of cases, I've got the first two tracks (say) which are not named, and in an un-named album, and the rest of the album is correctly named: my guess is that the first two had been compressed before I got round to re-naming.

JFBUK

Aug 26, 2021, 10:31:20 AM8/26/21
to Brennan Forum
yes and from what you have observed it seems you need to make sure that everything you have ripped is compressed before embarking on this adventure :)