Ongoing Problem Using External CD Drive

Simon F

Feb 9, 2021, 10:08:54 AM2/9/21
to Brennan Forum
A couple of weeks ago I posted an issue that I had trying to use my external CD drive with the B2 for the first time.  After connecting the CD drive to USB port C and powering up the B2, the CD drive did not power up with it (LED didn't light up).  When I selected "USB Functions" on the menu, it read "No USB device", and instructed me to plug one in.  I also tried using port A, but no difference.

After some deliberation, I decided to get a "name" CD drive, and went for the LG GP57EB40 unit, which I saw recommended by Brennan somewhere.

It arrived this morning, and I couldn't wait to try it out.  I connected the CD drive to port C, powered up the B2, and good news......the LED on the CD drive lit up, and the draw popped open ready for use.  This is more like it I thought.  I went to "USB Functions" and guess what.......it said "No USB Device".  once again, I also tried using Port A, and still nothing.

I'm no further along with solving this issue.  Until I resolve this issue, I cannot rip a small number of CDs to the B2, as the B2 won't accept them.

Can anyone suggest what the problem is, and how I can resolve it?

Peter Lowham

Feb 9, 2021, 11:25:53 AM2/9/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Simon,

I've found references to using your LG model on this forum and it looks good for other users.  Have you tried powering the B2 down and then powering it up with the CD drive already plugged in?

Some of the USB devices seem to get picked up by the B2 unless you do this.

Regards,
Peter.

Daniel Taylor

Feb 9, 2021, 11:36:31 AM2/9/21
to Brennan Forum
The USB menu has no functions for a CD drive.  It expects only USB disks formatted as FAT32.  Since the CD drive is not a disk and cannot be formatted as FAT32 (or anything else), it is not surprising to me that the USB menu did not recognize it as a disk.

Put a CD in the CD drive and try to rip it the same way you would if using the internal drive.  AFAIK, it should work the same way.  The USB menu is not needed.

Simon F

Feb 9, 2021, 11:51:52 AM2/9/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Daniel.

That's an interesting point.  I'll try it and see if it works.

Simon F

Feb 9, 2021, 11:59:18 AM2/9/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter.

So far, I've followed the procedure of connecting the CD drive to the B2 before powering up.  This is Brennan's recommended approach.

Are you saying, do what I've been doing, THEN powering down the B2 and then powering up again?  I want to make sure that I get this clear, because when I didn't follow the recommended procedure with my old CD drive, the B2 died and I had to send it off to be repaired.

Simon F

Feb 9, 2021, 12:12:26 PM2/9/21
to Brennan Forum
That's some interesting ideas there to consider Daniel and Peter.

In your case Peter, are you suggesting that I follow the Brennan recommended procedure of connecting the two devices then powering up, then powering down and finally powering back up again?  I want to get this clear, because when I didn't follow the recommended procedure with my old CD drive,the B2 died and I had to send it off to Brennan for repair.

Daniel Taylor

Feb 9, 2021, 1:30:15 PM2/9/21
to Brennan Forum
You don't have to cycle power twice.  Basically, you connect the drive when the B2 is already off.  Then when you turn it on, the B2 checks for external devices and recognizes them.  If you leave the drive connected, then whenever you turn on the B2, it will see the drive.  I don't know for sure, but it may display a scrolling line on the front display that indicates the drive is connected.

David Kemp

Feb 9, 2021, 2:45:53 PM2/9/21
to Brennan Forum
As far as I know the Brennan does not recognise the CD drive as a USB device under that particular menu, I believe it’s mainly for USB drives. It sounds as if the CD Drive is behaving normally and you should just stick a CD in there and rip it.

PMB

Feb 10, 2021, 4:47:07 AM2/10/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi All,

Simon replied via a separate thread that the external drive is working after following Daniel's advice.

Paul
Brennan Support.