MULTIPLE B2's - UNABLE TO SEE THEM BOTH AS NAS ON PC

Andy Neville

Apr 17, 2021, 6:43:24 PM4/17/21
to Brennan Forum
Greetings from New Zealand

I have recently purchased a second B2 and am having a problem viewing them both as NAS on my PC (Windows10) simultaneously. I can view them individually on the network provided that the other one is switched off.

NAS is switched 'ON' on both units.
Both B2's are 480Gb SSD models running the latest B2B software and are connected to my home network via Ethernet.
Each unit has a static IP addtress assigned to it.

I presume this is because they are both presenting the same Host Name to the network (?)

I have tried using the "Add a Network Location" tool in File Explorer without success. The wizard does not offer the option to give them a unique name.

Otherwise, everything works perfectly.

Grateful for any suggestions.

Regards
Andy

fred.w....@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2021, 7:55:06 PM4/17/21
to Brennan Forum
I am no expert in the field.
However while I agree that the NASs will have the same Host Name each B2 has a different IP number.
It is possible to attach to the NAS using this IP number rather than the "BRENNANB2" host name.

So rather than connecting thus
add a network location          \\BRENNANB2\music       and enter the credentials root, password brennan
do this
add a network location            \\192.168.0.37\music     and enter the credentials root, password brennan

Where you would substitute the IP number for your B2s in place of "192.168.0.37"

Therefore I suggest you try doing this and see if it works for you (I cant test it because I only have 1 B2)
HOWEVER
There are Forum members with 2 (or more) B2's so I am sure that if what I have said is wrong, this will be corrected for you.

Fred

Andy Neville

Apr 17, 2021, 8:35:14 PM4/17/21
to Brennan Forum
Fred

Many thanks for the prompt response. Will give this a go and report back.

Andy

Andy Neville

Apr 18, 2021, 4:10:06 AM4/18/21
to Brennan Forum
Fred

No success I'm afraid. Windows returned the attached error msg.

Andy

PS
SMB1.0 Client is enabled.

B2B ~ Adding to Network.docx

fred.w....@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2021, 4:23:56 AM4/18/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Andy,

How strange - Just so we are on the same page - you did use this "Map network drive" route, selecting a different drive letter for each B2?
a.JPG
Fred

Andy Neville

Apr 18, 2021, 4:40:12 PM4/18/21
to Brennan Forum
Fred

No, I have tried the "Add a Network Location" tool (to the right), using the IP addresses as ID. This was suggested elsewhere on the Forum in a previous thread.

I will try mapping them next.

Thanks again
Andy

Mark Fishman

Apr 18, 2021, 6:43:03 PM4/18/21
to Brennan Forum
WHY IN GOD'S NAME DO PEOPLE CREATE MICROSOFT WORD DOCUMENTS JUST TO INCLUDE A TEXT-ONLY ERROR MESSAGE, OR TO ATTACH A SCREEN IMAGE? Just paste the screen image directly into your message, or save the screen image to a file and attach the PNG or JPG or TIF. THOSE can be viewed online. Even a PDF can be viewed online. Microsoft Word can save to PDF, if that's all you've got.

Can't read your error DOCX without saving it to my computer and then opening MS-Word. No idea what might be happening on your computer without seeing the error message. Pfui.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2021, 7:12:41 PM4/18/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Mark,

It is difficult, but perhaps that's the best they know how to do 😕

Fred.

Andy Neville

Apr 18, 2021, 7:18:43 PM4/18/21
to Brennan Forum
Untitled.png

Andy Neville

Apr 18, 2021, 11:30:11 PM4/18/21
to Brennan Forum

Fred
You are correct.

Mark
Apologies, didn't mean to wind you up. I tried everything I knew (at the time) to embed the screenshot into the msg. The Word .doc was a last resort. Now I know better !

Both
Good news - the problem is resolved. Something simple as always.
During the transition into a second B2 last week I had flashed a new SD card for the original machine to upgrade it to B2B OS. I rather foolishly assumed that NAS was still enabled; of course it wasn't. It is now !

Thank you very much for your assistance which guided me towards the solution. Keep up the good work.

Regards
Andy

fred.w....@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2021, 4:51:13 AM4/19/21
to Brennan Forum
Great news Andy, I am pleased that they are now both working as NAS for you at the same time.

You were confusing us!!  :))
"I can view them individually on the network provided that the other one is switched off.

NAS is switched 'ON' on both units.
!!

Fred

Mark Fishman

Apr 19, 2021, 6:18:35 AM4/19/21
to Brennan Forum
(a) I'm very glad the problem is resolved and that you have proved it IS possible to use two B2s on the same network with both visible as NAS locations.

(b) It is I who should apologize to you, and to everyone, for my losing my cool last evening. I am sorry; it wasn't polite, it wasn't helpful, and even I felt worse afterward, so all around it was a bad outburst. Thank you for taking it in good humor and showing me some graciousness.

On Sunday, April 18, 2021 at 11:30:11 PM UTC-4 Andy Neville wrote:

Fred