Best low cost wifi speakers with brenban

Miriam Newbury

Dec 3, 2019, 1:10:10 PM12/3/19
to Brennan Forum
Finally got full Bluetooth after fitting new sd card. What wifi speakers do people reccpmend? Don't want to invest in Sonos..jus
t want to.be able to.play music with treble and base again. Was looming at jvc do they pair with Brennan on Bluetooth Out? If not what do others use?
Thanks

Daniel Taylor

Dec 3, 2019, 4:12:52 PM12/3/19
to Brennan Forum
There are a wide variety of speakers that will sound good with the Brennan.

It might be worth pointing out that Bluetooth and WiFi speakers are not the same.  Sonos uses a proprietary WiFi signal; it is not Bluetooth.  On the other hand, Bluetooth speakers are not WiFi either.

Bluetooth speakers are generally regarded as having less high fidelity than wired speakers.  WiFi speakers can often sound as good as wired speakers.  Bluetooth uses a compressed signal, so fidelity can suffer.  But many people don't notice or mind.

Also, you should be aware that Brennan does not support Bluetooth output.  They found it difficult to make it work in every situation, so stopped supporting it.  However, it has been found to work with many Bluetooth speakers, just not with all, and not guaranteed.

Miriam Newbury

Dec 3, 2019, 5:28:57 PM12/3/19
to Brennan Forum
Just want low cost Bluetooth speakers that will.work on Brennan Bluetooth Out put that provide treble and bass..any one found any lie to mid range that would meet that criteria?

MJB

Dec 4, 2019, 6:58:34 AM12/4/19
to Brennan Forum
Hello Daniel

Thank you for your post. Just one thing to consider - we have created a new SD for B2 card which uses a later generation of the Bluetooth stack - this is the linux software that deals with Bluetooth.

It was this software that led to the previous incompatibilities - and it was beyond our ken to fix.

You can create a new SD yourself using instructions here https://www.brennan.co.uk/itemcontent.php/content/Techy

Or if you buy a B2 SD card from us you will get the new generation Bluetooth stack. The new software is identified by B2B on the Software Version.

We know that the new stack fixes some previously incompatible speakers but I am not advertising Bluetooth Out as a guaranteed capability.

FYI BB1 already has the latest stack but Bluetooth Out is not implemented - though I would expec to release it next year as a web upgrade

Martin

Mark Fishman

Dec 4, 2019, 4:04:12 PM12/4/19
to Brennan Forum
Why does one need to make an entirely new SD card? Does a simple update of the software not also include the Bluetooth update?

Daniel Taylor

Dec 4, 2019, 4:15:40 PM12/4/19
to Brennan Forum
On Wednesday, December 4, 2019 at 4:04:12 PM UTC-5, Mark Fishman wrote:
Why does one need to make an entirely new SD card? Does a simple update of the software not also include the Bluetooth update?

Siince the Bluetooth part of the update is part of the Raspberry Pi software, I imagine that a normal update would not include it, only the Brennan software.  Just a guess.