if new to B2 this setup works well. My speakers, cables, amp turntable and backup-makes and models

A fisher

May 19, 2020, 6:03:20 AM5/19/20
to Brennan Forum
Not sure how to integrate B2 into your hi fi system? Which devices? Maybe this will help you. There are of course many ways, some cheaper, some more expensive, but this works brilliantly, for me. Hope this helps someone

My aims
1) great sound
2) great ergonomics and a pleasant listening experience.

B2   the big one as I have many CDs
BACKUP  hard disk Toshiba Canvio 2T B  this works, just plug in and back up occasionally

My system
AMP   Cambridge Audio Amp CXA61. Any will do with digital and analogue inputs. This has, crucially, an optical input for my B2. It has built in DAC and bluetooth. No other devices are required.

SPEAKERS  ancient Mordaunt Short MS20 and Monitor Audio Bronze B2. My handy new amp lets me choose either or both.
CD PLAYER but why you say? Yes you can use the B2 of course. See below... ancient  Marantz 63

CABLES connect a cheap optical cable from B2 to the amp. Fisual works fine. I chose this as I could find a short one. Thanks to people on here for sensible advice.
CABLES for speakers- chunky, but cheap in other words cables with lots of copper, not the tiny toy speaker cables. No need to go crazy. Ignore the BS.

Thant  is it.
How do I listen?

I use my mobile phone and the superb wee web 'app' and listen to

CDs  I switch on my B2 and listen to any of the 1000s of high quality CDs previously and patiently stored on my B2. However for new CDs I am not sure of, or maybe the odd signed CD, where I want to play just the odd track, the old CD player is more ergonomic. I hate menus. I can just press a button. I only have about 20 or so of actual CDs. Sometimes I do not want to store a CD after listening to a new band.  The old CD player is just an ergonomic luxury. Of course I can record and discard the actual CD, if I think it deserves to be promoted to the B2. The two complement each other. Yes the B2 can do everything. But I want the best listening experience.

RECORDS similarly I can switch to vinyl put on a record and listen through my amp, for the old hi-fi listening experience.

YOUTUBE sometimes the B2, for videos I have liked before and  'stored' in cache in the B2. But, for new videos or if browsing on my laptop, I will listen via the amp/bluetooth and not bother with B2.

SPOTIFY  I use the amp only via bluetooth.

RADIO  I like to browse internet radio through the B2, but also I listen to BBC sounds straight through the amp, via bluetooth. Both methods work well.

I control the B2 with my mobile mostly. That is it.

As you see, yes the B2 does lots of things, but I use it as just one very handy component, amongst others.
Hope this helps someone.

A fisher

May 19, 2020, 6:25:00 AM5/19/20
to Brennan Forum
for completeness
TURNTABLE  ancient Technics 2000, circa 1977! now revived, plugged into a cheapish PROJEKT  phono amplifier, and from there into the amp. Some amps will have this built in, and some turntables have the phonoamp built in. Turntable signals are weak and need a boost somewhere along the line.

Davywhizz

May 24, 2020, 3:23:34 AM5/24/20
to Brennan Forum
This could be an interesting thread, it's always good to talk audio. My B2 sits on top of a Marantz MCR611 amp/CD player/internet radio/music streamer. I bought some very thin black foam and cut a piece to size for the B2 to rest on, just to protect the surface underneath. It connects via a 0.5m optical cable. The speaker cables are quite thick - AWG12 - German-made copper, well-shielded, not expensive, with banana plugs. They go to two Elac Debut B2 6.2 speakers. A Yamaha sub-woofer is fed separately from the amp. We have a Denon turntable for vinyl, via the amp's phono input.

I'd always use the Marantz to play a real CD, if I ever do, but much prefer the internet radio on the B2. And I think the B2's YouTube feature is inspired, whoever thought of it. I'm very happy with the sound quality of the ripped CDs. I use Spotify Connect for anything else, occasionally usb sticks for higher resolution tracks.

Les Stanley

May 24, 2020, 7:52:33 PM5/24/20
to Brennan Forum
Interesting that people are still using a CD player as well. I certainly am and, although I know it's impossible, I'm convinced than when I play a CD it sounds better than the copy on the  B2.
My B2 is connected to a Micromega DAC which in turn is connected to a 100W Sony Amp and a pair of Martin Logan Electrostatic speakers. The CD player is a Rotel 1060 (actually purchased for DVDs but who plays those anymore?)
I occasionally amuse myself by playing the Rotel via the separate DAC but I can hear no difference.
Oh and I have a House of Marley turntable for when I feel like a few clicks and pops. Looks nice but doesn't get much use.

Stephen Winding

May 25, 2020, 10:09:06 AM5/25/20
to Brennan Forum
Have had B2 for 2 mo. Have ripped 540 cds. B2 has really got me back. Have old Marantz Sr 8002. Marantz BD 8002 DVD & CD. Had old Whaferdale Diamonds. Decided to upgrade speakers. Wrote Eric at Tekton. He though my choice of Electrons was the way to go. Took 6 wks. to get them. Great speakers I am loving my system with the B2. Back up 2T Tosiba Martin suggested. Steve

Stephen Winding

May 25, 2020, 10:11:48 AM5/25/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi.
I do use my Marantz DVD but not for CD but guess what for DVD. I have pretty big silent film collection in Blu Ray and SD. Some films just still require a good DVD player it is the only way to see them on your demand. Steve

A fisher

May 28, 2020, 4:12:39 PM5/28/20
to Brennan Forum
Does anyone use the remote control?
I do not.
I use the amp remote for the amp volume, and that is about it. The CD remote is also superfluous.

Davywhizz

May 28, 2020, 4:37:28 PM5/28/20
to Brennan Forum
No, I've never felt the need to use the B2 remote. I'm not even sure about everything it does. But I can see some might like it. I'd used Spotify a lot before I got the B2,so was familiar with playing music using a screen, but it felt strange at first.

Once I've finished ripping and backing up our CD collection I may just use the B2 mobile app for playback. Until then, the web UI is useful for the ripping process and renaming, adding album art I've had to search for...It's good to have options.

Randakk

May 28, 2020, 4:55:04 PM5/28/20
to Brennan Forum
Very interesting thread!

I actually use the little B2 remote for checking my software version / release date - by pressing "Info" twice. That's easier (to me) than any other method I'm aware of.

That's useful, but I haven't troubled myself to explore what I imagine are extensive features of the little remote. :)

P.S. This is a Great Forum. Lot's of helpfulness, lot's of knowledge and virtually no SNARK!