SD card problem - not Brennan

RichM

Jul 21, 2020, 5:32:36 AM7/21/20
to Brennan Forum
I thought I'd take advantage of this group's expertise to try and solve a problem I have with writing to a micro SD card.

Having ripped all my CDs to my B2 and then created an MP3 copy on my PC, I want to put the MP3s on a micro SD card for use on my tablet. The card is 64Gb, formatted as ex-Fat. Unfortunately, my copy stops after 29.1Gb of the 35.5Gb I have to copy. Not a major disaster, but still puzzling.

When I attempt to copy the rest, they show as copied, but if I eject the card then reload it (or load it on the tablet), all I get is empty folders for the albums concerned. I tried to move some photos, as a test, and the same thing happened. Yet the card shows as having 33Gb free space.

Thanks for your help

Rich

Peter Lowham

Jul 21, 2020, 5:44:33 AM7/21/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Rich,

I think that the problem here is that the micoSD card needs to be re-formatted as 'FAT32'.  The 'exFAT' format is not compatible with the Brennan.

Try that and let us know how you get on.

Regards,
Peter.

RichM

Jul 21, 2020, 9:38:25 AM7/21/20
to Brennan Forum
Peter,

Thanks, but the problem is not on the Brennan. The difficulty is trying to write to the SD card on my PC. The Brennan has just been the enabler for producing the MP3.

Rich

Peter Lowham

Jul 21, 2020, 10:53:11 AM7/21/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Rich,

I have a similar problem also, with a 256GB USB stick that I bought through Amazon.  It can be written to for a while, but eventually the writing fails.  If I look at the folders, some are OK but some are empty.  I've had a few attempts to reformat the stick but it always fails..

In my case I have just put it down to being a 'cheapie' memory stick.  I don't usually buy memory sticks or SD cards from the internet because there are so many fake cards being sold there.  Instead I go to Argos for these purchases.  So the one time that I ignore my own rule, I get a junk device!

Regards,
Peter.

RichM

Jul 22, 2020, 9:00:30 AM7/22/20
to Brennan Forum
I hadn't considered that the card might be faulty, but I guess that could be the case. It is (allegedly) a Samsung one, but I will have bought it online - eBay or Amazon. It is not that old, so there might even be a warranty (optimist that I am), so I'll try and track down my purchase.

Thanks again,

Rich

Fred Hopper

Jul 24, 2020, 4:08:52 PM7/24/20
to Brennan Forum
I would suspect that the card is of less capacity than "advertised" - fake card vendors commonly re-badge smaller cards to be of larger capacity !!.

RichM

Jul 26, 2020, 5:18:06 AM7/26/20
to Brennan Forum
When I check properties it gives the expected 64GB and the sum of files plus free space adds up. I agree I have no way of checking if it's a fake - I'll just have to work my round the limitation of 32Gb.

Rich

Fred Hopper

Jul 26, 2020, 5:59:21 AM7/26/20
to Brennan Forum
Look at this YouTube - it will explain

Fred

Leslie Brownlee

Jul 26, 2020, 6:16:18 AM7/26/20
to Brennan Forum
Cheers, Fred. Interesting video. Was aware of fake USB drives, but nice to have a bit more info about them and the problems they can cause.

Leslie.

Fred Hopper

Jul 26, 2020, 6:35:28 AM7/26/20
to Brennan Forum
Sorry Leslie,

For Fake SD cards look at THIS YouTube

Fred.

PMB

Jul 27, 2020, 4:33:26 AM7/27/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Leslie,

When I was visiting China, for work, five years ago now, they were showing me examples of fake memory sticks and SD Cards with custom chips built-in that report bigger memory sizes than they actually were.... Also there were companies buying up faulty memory arrays and gluing them together (electrically) to get bigger memories.

Paul
Brennan Support.