Backing Up to SSD formatted using HFS+

robin menzies

Jul 24, 2020, 5:27:25 AM7/24/20
to Brennan Forum
I've just bought a 1T ScanDisk SSD.

I've been able to back up my Brennan B2 Music to the SSD which is great.

Now I want to connect the SSD to a MacBook Pro and SONOS so that I can play music around the house.

My problem is that SONOS cannot connect the file because 'the shared folder on this drive can't be added because it is formatted using an unsupported file system. In this version of OS X, Sonos can only share folders on external drives formatted using the HFS+ file system'.

My question is if I reformat the SSD using the HFS+ file system will the B2 recognise and back up to the SSD?

Daniel Taylor

Jul 24, 2020, 5:51:59 AM7/24/20
to Brennan Forum
Short answer: No.  The B2 will only recognize disks that are formatted as FAT32.

However, you can connect a disk to your computer, with whatever formatting your computer prefers.  Then you can setup to view your B2 as NAS (Network Attached Storage).  And then copy directly from the B2 to your other disk via NAS.  It's slow, but there are folks who do that regularly to maintain their backup(s).

Fred Hopper

Jul 24, 2020, 3:49:03 PM7/24/20
to Brennan Forum
Also note that reformatting a disk containing data invariably means the data is lost in the process - so don't try to do this.

Norm Glennard

Jul 24, 2020, 6:36:29 PM7/24/20
to Brennan Forum
Not invariably. Always

Mark Fishman

Jul 25, 2020, 7:10:10 PM7/25/20
to Brennan Forum
> Not invariably. Always

Umm, "invariably" means "without variation", i.e., always. Have I missed a subtle joke?

Fred Hopper

Jul 25, 2020, 7:34:16 PM7/25/20
to Brennan Forum
:)

robin menzies

Jul 26, 2020, 11:39:31 AM7/26/20
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Daniel. Makes sense. My objective was to connect SSD to Apple and then to access with my Sonos speakers. Apple does not allow me to share the SSD with Sonos so I've taken a different route. I've connected the SSD to my WIFI router which Sonos connects with seamlessly. Everything working fine