CD transport

Hijaz Kaleel

Sep 16, 2021, 8:03:20 AM9/16/21
to Brennan Forum
Hello,

I’m on the verge of buying a b2 and and was wondering about the following: If the b2 is connected to an amp that has its own DAC via the SPDIF, when playing a cd, is the data stream pure (not been through the onboard amp/DAC)? In other words in that scenario is it a cd transport?

Thanks

Daniel Taylor

Sep 16, 2021, 8:20:46 AM9/16/21
to Brennan Forum
Yes, in that scenario the B2 is a CD transport.  The data does not go through the B2's internal DAC, it is sent directly to the external DAC.  Once the signal goes through a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) it is not digital any more, it is analog and ready for the amplifier.

Hijaz Kaleel

Sep 16, 2021, 8:59:41 AM9/16/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks for confirming - I thought that would be the case.

As a curious aside, I have a Sonos connect which is connected to my amp/DAC (Cyrus 8DAC) via an optical (SPDIF) link. Oddly, when I change the volume in the Sonos it actually the music gets louder. This would seem to imply that it’s sending some kind of volume data to the amp? Seems unlikely but that’s the only explanation I have since Sonos cannot control the output volume of them amp. Any ideas?

Thanks