Sound cutting out

harlond57

Jun 28, 2020, 3:43:41 PM6/28/20
to Brennan Forum

I am just setting up my B2.  After updating the OS, it rips CDs ok.  However, when I try to play music (either play the CD or play from the hard drive), the sound cuts out if I raise the volume to level 35.  Below that level, the sound coming from my PSB Alpha Mini speakers is too soft for actual listening.  Also when I put my ear right up to them, the right speaker sounds less loud than the left.

Of lesser importance, the B2 will not hold my time zone setting.  It also requires me to re-input the wifi password everytime I turn it off.

Any thoughts appreciated.

john Henrick

Jun 28, 2020, 3:47:17 PM6/28/20
to Brennan Forum
After setting time zone hold play/stop until saving is shown then it's stored

harlond57

Jun 29, 2020, 7:15:04 PM6/29/20
to Brennan Forum
Thanks, worked like a charm.  If anyone has a thought on my main question, I'd be grateful.

Daniel Taylor

Jun 29, 2020, 7:41:16 PM6/29/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi harlond57,

Does everything else about your B2 seem to be working as expected?

Do you have the speakers wired directly to the speaker outputs on the B2?  If yes, then have you checked for any stray strands of wire that might be touching?

When you raise the volume level past 35, does the sound stop completely and stay gone, or does it come and go?

If you plug headphones into the analog line output, can you turn the volume up past 35?

harlond57

Jun 29, 2020, 8:08:04 PM6/29/20
to Brennan Forum
Thanks for your post, Daniel.

1.  Everything else seems to be working as expected.
2.  The speakers are wired directly to the B2.  I can see no wires touching. The banana plugs might be touching, because it's tight quarters in there, but I am assuming the plugs--FosPower 24k plated--are non-conductive.
3.  When I raise the volume past level 35, the sound goes out completely.  It might be right at 35, it might wait until 41, but it goes out completely.  It comes back if I press Play/Stop, and then, after reducing back to 31 or so, restart.  If I don't reduce the volume, it may or may not come back when I restart.  I have the impression it depends in part how loud the particular passage playing at the time is, but that's hard to judge since I don't have a good idea how loud the passage might be when it doesn't come back.
4.  I don't have headphones.  My son might, I'll check when he comes home.

Thanks again.

PMB

Jun 30, 2020, 5:04:20 AM6/30/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Harlond57,

If the plugs on the end of the speaker cables have metal bodies they could be shorting together. Try slipping a piece of card or thin plastic between each plug to isolate them.

Paul
Brennan Support.

JAC

Jun 30, 2020, 7:02:29 AM6/30/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi

There is a small chance that this is a power supply issue.  As with nearly all audio power amplifiers, the one in the B2 which drives the speakers will draw more current when it is asked to deliver more volume to the speakers.  If there is a power supply fault, either inside the B2 or in the external AC to DC supply brick, it could be starving some other circuit of power (and causing them to cut out) whenever you get to a loud bit. So, related to the music volume rather than the volume setting itself.

If your speaker plugs are shorting, or nearly shorting, this could have the same effect as the amplifier will be trying to drive an enormous current into a very low resistance.

I suggest you check that the power supply plugs in the brick and B2 are all firmly home.  I also suggest you disconnect your speakers and try the line output jack (e.g. to run headphones or a separate amplifier and speakers), to see if the problem persists when the audio power amplifier isn't being asked to do any work.

harlond57

Jun 30, 2020, 8:57:38 AM6/30/20
to Brennan Forum
Thanks John, Daniel, Paul, and JAC.  Slipping a piece of cardboard between the banana plugs solved the problem.  I now have balanced volume from both speakers and plenty of it.  I was already excited about what the Brennan would do for my music listening, and actually being able to hear makes me even more so.  Thanks again.

Peter MH

Jun 30, 2020, 6:31:44 PM6/30/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi
I had a similar issue. I replaced my solid metal banana plugs for some with a plastic sleeve (Fisual Easy Fix, Amazon) Problem solved and no need for bits of cardboard. I was able to reuse the banana plugs at the speaker terminals, which were not so tightly located next to each other.
Peter MH