Renaming Album

Mike Lavis

Sep 1, 2021, 8:20:22 AM9/1/21
to Brennan Forum
I have been renaming some of the CD’s I have Ripped off without any problems over the last month. But, this morning I renamed a couple and now they will not play. Can anyone suggest what I’m doing wrong? They played fine prior to the renaming, so I know they were Ripped okay. Cheer
Mike Lavis

Peter Lowham

Sep 1, 2021, 8:26:24 AM9/1/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Mike,

Have you run 'Scan Disk'?  That often sorts this type of problem.  Function is located at 'Setttings' --> 'Scan Disk'.

Regards,
Peter.

Peter Lowham

Sep 1, 2021, 9:06:40 AM9/1/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi All,

Got the note below in a PM from Mike.

I will give it a try. When I find it. It’s all new to me
Cheers

Mike Lavis

Sep 1, 2021, 1:33:59 PM9/1/21
to Brennan Forum
Thank Pete it seems to have done the trick. But it means I have to check now every time I change the name of a Artist, Album or Track etc. It has knocked my confidence a little in the B2 Brennan. I will have to go back to all the Albums I have ripped, to check they’ll play.
Cheers
Mike Lavis

Peter Lowham

Sep 1, 2021, 2:30:57 PM9/1/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Mike,

Good to know that you are back up and running.  This type of problem can arise if you are playing music while doing the renaming process.  One recommendation that we make here in the forum is to only run one task at a time.  The albums that you have already ripped should be OK; the previous ripping and compression process is not affected.

I usually do a batch of changes, say 10 - 30 albums, and then run 'Scan Disk' to make sure that the changes are picked up and written into the B2's internal database.

The good thing is that you can run 'Scan Disk' at any time provided you aren't playing music on the B2.  What this function does is to read through the B2's 'music' folder from start to finish and rebuild the B2's internal music database.

Something else that we recommend is that regular backups are done to a USB HDD or memory stick using the 'Export' backup function.  This gives you protection against any sort of internal disk failure.  You will have spent many hours ripping and compresssing CDs and this means that you have invested a lot of time into creating your music collection.

Regards,
Peter.

Peter Lowham

Sep 1, 2021, 4:40:07 PM9/1/21
to Brennan Forum
I received this from Mike in my PM.

Thank you for the advice, yes I was trying to play the music at the same time. Everything makes more sense now. I’m getting a bit long in the tooth, so it takes me a little longer to understand some of the technical issues.
Can you advise me on the best USB HDD (size etc) to use with the B2 Brennan 2TB?. I do have a1TB Seagate External Hard Drive to back-up my Mac Book. I also have small Memory Sticks but they have a lot of my Scout & Church Treasurers documents on. I need a specific back-up for my Brennan.

Thank you
Mike

Peter Lowham

Sep 1, 2021, 5:01:14 PM9/1/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Mike,
I'm getting pretty creaky myself!

How many CDs have you loaded into the B2?  Are you planning to load more CDs into the future?  An estimate of the total number of CDs stored is the main determinant in working out a suitable backup HDD size.

Regards,
Peter.

Peter Lowham

Sep 1, 2021, 5:51:27 PM9/1/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi All,

Further note from Mike on my PM.

Hi Peter
I have about 4,000 CD’s but I don’t think I will be loading them all on. May be half of them at a guess.
Cheers
Mike

Peter Lowham

Sep 1, 2021, 6:10:48 PM9/1/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Mike,

Assuming that you are compressing to 'flac' format here are my estimates.

2000 CDs will require approximately 600GB of storage.
4000 CDs will require approximately 1200 GB of storage.

Based on your estimate, I reckon that a 1TB USB HDD or memory stick would do the job for you.

Regards,
Peter.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Sep 2, 2021, 8:00:35 AM9/2/21
to Brennan Forum
A note of warning!

Be sure NOT to be fooled into purchasing a FAKE memory stick of this capacity ... Many forum users have been caught out thus. Only purchase from a reputable supplier and pay the correct price. Bargains are probably FAKE!

Fred.