SONOS

Donald Lyon

Dec 20, 2019, 2:00:45 PM12/20/19
to Brennan Forum
I've just bought a couple of SONOS One speakers.

The B2 home page seems to contemplate a SONOS program but all they seem to refer to in the setup instructions is a SONOS app. This doesn't seem to have the same menus and setup process as described on the B2 home page.

Can anyone tell me how to set up on the SONOS app or point me to the correct instructions?

Many thanks

Daniel Taylor

Dec 20, 2019, 4:22:29 PM12/20/19
to Brennan Forum
I think the Sonos app has to be downloaded for your specific device.

Pete_likes_Brennan

Dec 20, 2019, 4:48:45 PM12/20/19
to Brennan Forum
The usual way to combine Sonos with the B2 is to use the B2 as a NAS drive on a home network.
The B2 can then be a accessed by Sonos as part of or all of the Music library.
Instructions on how to set this up are on the B2 web site here https://www.brennan.co.uk/itemcontent.php/content/Sonos
This works very well but I find that if I have turned my B2 off overnight I need to re-index the Sonos music library.
Sonos can be set to do this automatically from within "music library settings".
Sonos and the B2 are a brilliant combination.

Donald Lyon

Dec 23, 2019, 12:39:12 PM12/23/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Guys, thanks for your help.

When I got everything set up to some degree though I kept getting buffering problems. Then I saw somewhere that a Sonos Boost would normally solve that issue. So I bought one.

Had a lot of trouble setting that up but then got on the phone to a nice guy at Sonos (on the phone for about an hour) who helped me set it all up. I set a trial track going and made sure it went on for at least 2 minutes (3 in fact, which was more than the buffer had ever allowed before) and then said goodbye and thank you. It was after hours at Sonos by the time we finished so I wanted to make sure it was working because I knew I wouldn't be able to get hold of him until tomorrow again. So I rang off and enjoyed the music for a bit longer - and then it stopped again, once more with a buffer message.

Is there any more help you can offer? I have a functioning Sonos system, it is talking to the B2, it is apparently running with the aid of the Boost (the guy did diagnostics to see that it was working as he expected), but it still stalls after a few minutes and says that there is insufficient buffer to cope with the playback.

As you say, when it works they seem to be a great team, but I'm obviously not there yet!

Many thanks

Don

PLB

Dec 23, 2019, 1:56:55 PM12/23/19
to Brennan Forum
Donald, I have the same problem. Ripped my CD collection on the B2 in FLAC which takes a strong wifi signal to play it through Sonos. I'm going to try an ethernet connection between the b2 and the router to see if that stops the buffering problems. I really wanted the B2 in the living room,now I'm going to have to move it next to the router in the next room. No answers for you but I'm stuck with the same problem.

Daniel Taylor

Dec 23, 2019, 2:53:10 PM12/23/19
to Brennan Forum
Check your WiFi signal strength using Settings > Maintenance > WiFi Strength.  (I got that from the Brennan website on the Menu page.)
Your signal strength should be at least -60 (-50 being better, -70 being worse) and not fluctuate wildly.
To improve your signal strength, try the following:
Move your B2 closer to your router.
Switch the WiFi dongle to USB C.
Move your WiFi dongle to the end of a USB extension cable.
If none of that helps, you could try plugging a network cable between the inside back of the B2 and your router.
If that solves the problem, then it was definitely a WiFi problem.

PMB

Dec 29, 2019, 7:50:02 AM12/29/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Donald,

Have you checked the WiFi signal level as Daniel suggests?

Paul
Brennan Support.