Maybe a new way to transfer files from PC to B2 (?)

Daniel Taylor

Feb 9, 2022, 3:40:59 PM2/9/22
to Brennan Forum
I came across an advertisement on Facebook for this device that hooked up between the USB ports of two computers.  The information at the provided link says that it works for Linux, too.  I do not have the time or interest to buy the device to test it out.  But I suspect that one of you just might want to do that.  Here's the link:  Data Link PC to PC Transfer Cable  It's obviously more than just a cable - I know that just a USB cable between PC and B2 will not work.

Mark Fishman

Feb 9, 2022, 3:51:07 PM2/9/22
to Brennan Forum
If it is "plug and play" and doesn't require driver installation, I wonder what software it runs? It has to make the "other" device look like a disk somehow. If it expects something that can run Intel code, that won't work on an RPi.

Apparently (well down in the page) the device is not afraid of falling. That's good, but it also makes me uneasy about the rest of the descriptions.

Daniel Taylor

Feb 9, 2022, 4:25:35 PM2/9/22
to Brennan Forum
I had sent a message to them asking if it worked with Linux.  Their reply only directed me to the "product details page" which I assume is the link I provided.  I was disappointed that the response did not attempt to really discuss my interest.  It makes me think they're more interested in selling me one, and then deal with any problems later.  I replied to their reply and provided a little information about the B2 and asked for more information about their device.  I did notice on their web page that no drivers are required.  I suspect that it is possible to do what they claim, I'm just not sure about how well they attempt to do it.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Feb 9, 2022, 5:42:16 PM2/9/22
to Brennan Forum
Did you notice, in the video,i that both end machines had to be running their App?I
Fred

Daniel Taylor

Feb 9, 2022, 7:21:07 PM2/9/22
to Brennan Forum
Thanks, Fred.  I did not realize that. That pretty much rules it out for most of us.

Peter Lowham

Feb 10, 2022, 5:17:29 AM2/10/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi All,

I watched the video of the device in use and it works by using Windows Explorer at each end while emulating a CD drive at each end.  So it just uses the standard  Windows CD driver and the unit manages the data transfer from one 'CD drive' to the other.

It uses the Windows GUI interface in the video.  The B2 doesn't have a GUI interface, so it is not likely to work in this scenario.  However, I do have a Res-Pi running a GUI version on Linux 5 so that might work.

I have ordered the same unit from eBay (10UKP inc P&P) so I'll test it out and will let you know the outcome when it gets here.

Regards,
Peter.