Export/Import

Zappolli

Oct 14, 2021, 6:58:33 PM10/14/21
to Brennan Forum
Other than using a 3rd party backup/restore software, is there any way to make the import function incremental instead of full? I'm guessing not but that also means the Brennan website needs to be corrected. On a page about backing up and restoring it says:
"Import is incremental so it only copies music not already on the B2 hard disk."

What I have found is exactly what Paul said in an earlier posting:
"Hi John,
It's incremental so only adds anything not already on the backup.
Import isn't, it re-copies everything.
Paul
Brennan Support."

With over 600GB of music (on 3 different B2s), a full import takes a very, very long time.

Thanks,
Mike

fred.w....@gmail.com

Oct 15, 2021, 3:57:39 AM10/15/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Mike,

The Brennan "Export to USB" function IS incremental, it only copies new (or changed) music content to the USB backup device.
To get a new "fresh", complete backup you must present it with a USB device on which an existing backup is not present, or has been renamed.

Fred

fred.w....@gmail.com

Oct 15, 2021, 4:04:55 AM10/15/21
to Brennan Forum
Moving music between B2s therefore needs a "fresh" backup to have been made or, if you have changed anything both pre and post change will be present post import.
It makes (to me) little sense, to me, having Restore incrimental.

I would suggest you use the B2 NAS function to do keep your 3 B2s in step.

Fred

PMB

Oct 15, 2021, 5:01:24 AM10/15/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Mike,

I have reworded the 'How to Backup and Restore' section to make it more obvious that only Export is incremental.

Incremental Import is on the Wish List.

As Fred says, NAS may be the way to move newly added music between your B2s.

Paul
Brennan Support.