CD Lookup

Nigel White

Jan 27, 2022, 10:11:41 AM1/27/22
to Brennan Forum
I've now ripped about 75 albums on 90 discs onto my new B2.  About 6 or so have failed to find a match and I've had to enter the data manually.
An odd thing happened today.  I was ripping a two-CD recording of Aida (1959 recording conducted by von Karajan).  The first CD it failed to find a match, but CD2 it correctly identified.
As I know it checks against the MusicBrainz database, I installed MusicBrainz Picard on my laptop and loaded the unidentified CD1 to it, which it matched without a problem.
So I'm beginning to wonder whether the B2 is giving up too soon if it doesn't get a match (e.g. if there's temporary internet slowness)?  Is there a way to tell it to try again to match before it rips the CD as an 'Unknown'?

Peter Lowham

Jan 27, 2022, 10:16:42 AM1/27/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Nigel,

I think that Brennan are looking into this issue currently (I think I saw that in another thread a little while ago.  What version of software is your B2 running on?

Regards,
Peter.

Nigel White

Jan 27, 2022, 10:30:13 AM1/27/22
to Brennan Forum
I updated the software when I set it up a week ago - so the October 2021 version I believe.

JFBUK

Jan 27, 2022, 10:35:03 AM1/27/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Nigel,

Musicbrainz publish an API which can be used  programmatically for searching/lookup against their database using an algorithm.
I'm guessing that the Brennan is using this API for its searches

More detail here

My guess is that Picard is using a slightly different version or configuration of the algorithm/api to the b2.

btw if you have ripped tracks that you have not been able to name Picard can most times identify these using its AcoustId technology

John

PMB

Jan 28, 2022, 3:34:57 AM1/28/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Nigel,

Another owner contacted me about this and said he found if he tried the CD again, DB Lookup was successful. So you may be correct about a slow response over the internet causing the B2 to miss a title.

Paul
Brennan Support.