USB device not recognized on B2

Alex Hasenclever

Jul 28, 2021, 2:16:32 PM7/28/21
to Brennan Forum
Trying to back up music to an external 2TB drive but  B2 does not recognize the external  drive, It gives me a message "No USB device". Tried it on USB A and C with the same result. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks

JFBUK

Jul 28, 2021, 3:28:34 PM7/28/21
to Brennan Forum

Hi,

Did you format the drive as FAT32 ?
It is best to do this whilst it is connected to the B2.

>SETTINGS>MAINTENANCE>FORMAT USB A
Or
>SETTINGS>MAINTENANCE>FORMAT USB C

From the menu

John

Peter Lowham

Jul 28, 2021, 3:33:36 PM7/28/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi mvmai...,

It looks like your external 2TB USB unit needs to be formatted.  The B2 will only recognise a drive that is 'FAT32' formatted.  Notr that the 'Format' function will delete any existing data on the drive, so you should copy any existing date on that drive to a safe location.

To format the USB drive, from the B2's front panel knob, select:

'Settings' --> 'Maintenance' --> 'Format USB C' (if the device is plugged into USB C') OR 'Format USB A' if the device is plugged into USB A.

NOTE: Do not select the  'Format HDD' function under any circumstances; this function will delete all of your music collection from the B2.

You should see a message briefly appear, 'Partitioning', only for a second or two, then you should see a further message 'Formatting' which should remain on the display for up to 3 minutes.

After this is complete, if you go back to the 'USB Functions' menu, then you should be able to select 'Export to C' OR 'Export to A' depending on the USB port that you are using.

If the 'Formatting' message only flashes up for a few seconds, then the format has failed.  This occasionally occurs for unknown reasons currently, so if this happens post back here and we will try and help you further.

Regards,
Peter.

PMB

Jul 29, 2021, 4:01:34 AM7/29/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi mvmai...,

We moved 'Format HDD' - the one that erases everything on the internal hard drive - to the 'Advanced' menu, to make it less likely to be selected by mistake. The format command you need is in the 'Maintenance' menu.

Paul
Brennan Support.