Brennan will not rip CDs

Mike Ward

Jan 1, 2022, 11:14:55 AM1/1/22
to Brennan Forum
Hello,

I received my B2 this past Monday and opened it Tuesday.  I ripped about 90 CDs in 2 sessions, all went well.
When I began ripping again the third day, it takes the CD in, says loading CD for a few seconds and then displays the time and the scrolling text says CD empty, Source: Hard Disk, etc.
I tried reset CD, Scan Disk, power cycling and reloading firmware, all multiple times.
The UI works great, I can play music from the line out and it definitely sounds better than my Ipod.
I am very disappointed in this unit, I was very excited about it and have been waiting several months to purchase it hoping there would be a sale.
I am returning it to Amazon for an exchange.  I really hope the replacement will work longer than a few hours.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike Ward

Jan 1, 2022, 11:56:10 AM1/1/22
to Brennan Forum
Here are the Stats:

Software Version B2B Oct 22 2021 12:29:15

1052 tracks in 92 albums 37 artists

5 WAV 1047 FLAC 0 MP3 0 AAC

Capacity 480.00G Used 32.40Gb

USB 0 tracks in 0 albums 0 artists

Peter Lowham

Jan 1, 2022, 4:48:09 PM1/1/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Mike,

It does look like the CD unit is faulty.  I saw in another post yesterday that there appears to be a problem with a batch of new CD units that have a manufacturing fault.

Your stats look good, but having 5 WAV files suggests that compression might have stopped for some reason.

Can you run an 'Export' to a USB device before you return the B2?  That would save your work done to date and this can be 'Import'ed into the replacement unit.  The 'Export' will require just over 1 hour to complete.

Regards,
Peter.

Mike Ward

Jan 1, 2022, 5:15:45 PM1/1/22
to Brennan Forum
Yes, thanks, I already did that.

As for the WAV files, yesterday after the unit sat powered off overnight, I tried ripping another CD.  It ripped part of it, then stopped and msg said something about incomplete rip.  I think that is where the uncompressed WAV files came from.  I tried today, again after being powered down overnight and it went back to original issue, takes CD in and drive does not spin, says empty CD.
I already have return authorization from Amazon, waiting til Monday when UPS is open to ship.
How can I make sure to get a CD drive that is not from defective batch?

Thanks for your reply,
Mike

Peter Lowham

Jan 1, 2022, 5:51:01 PM1/1/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Mike,

I would reckon that there won't be any easy way of knowing which units have a CD unit from the faulty batch other than by using the replacement B2's CD and checking that the CD is functioning correctly.

As you say, the compression issue is probably due to the failed ripping session.

Regards,
Peter.

Mike Ward

Jan 25, 2022, 11:58:02 PM1/25/22
to Brennan Forum
Shipped my defective B2 back to Amazon via UPS on Jan. 3rd and just got my money back today.
For a company that prides itself on customer service and all that BS, they sucked on this one.  3 full weeks, awful.
Went to Brennan website to order a new one and they are sold out.  Anyone know when more will be in stock?

Hopefully I will get a good unit this time and will be able to enjoy it.

Rik

Jan 26, 2022, 3:34:51 AM1/26/22
to Brennan Forum

It would have taken longer via Amazon as it has to be received and precessed at their return centre which can take several weeks  weeks. It may be that Brennan were not dilatory.

Mike Ward

Feb 17, 2022, 11:44:11 AM2/17/22
to Brennan Forum
Per Brennan, they cannot get chips to build the 480G B2.  Understandable in the current climate.  I live in Albuquerque NM and the Intel fab here is gearing up to make new products, billion dollar plus investment.
I decided to go with the refurb.  Saved a bunch of money and it is on the way.  It is about $80 cheaper to order from Brennan than Amazon if you live in NM.  No taxes and same free shipping.  Will report back when I get it loaded and use it for a while.