How to find the 2 rogue WAV files which aren't compressing

lee3...@btinternet.com

Sep 28, 2021, 10:01:11 AM9/28/21
to Brennan Forum
For some time I've had 2 wav files which don't compress, presumably because they are either faulty or have something wrong with the text.  How can I find them amongst the many thousands I have? I have NAS enabled and use a Mac with OS Catalina.
I'm not computer savvy so please keep requests and advice simple please. (it's taken me long enough to discover how to post a question on here!)

Peter Lowham

Sep 28, 2021, 11:50:06 AM9/28/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi lee3...,

I think that the simplest method would be to open up the B2 WebUI on your Mac and from there select the tracks icon (the musical note icon) then type '.wav' (without the quotes) into the 'Search B2' box.

That should only list the .wav files.

Regards,
Peter.

Peter Lowham

Sep 28, 2021, 3:02:08 PM9/28/21
to Brennan Forum
I received this reply from Lee in my PM so I have copied it to here.

Such a simple way to do it and I found the files immediately. However I can’t see what’s wrong with them so will investigate further tomorrow as I had to leave for work. Thanks for the prompt reply Peter.
Regards
Lee

Glenn Terry

Sep 29, 2021, 4:12:38 PM9/29/21
to Brennan Forum
I have the same issue with 10 WAV files. I tried the Compress Now option with no results.   Is there a fix?

PMB

Sep 30, 2021, 3:20:24 AM9/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi geter...,

That sounds like it is an Album, so identify it as Peter described >> delete it >> check that there are no WAV files >> rip the Album again.

Paul
Brennan Support.

lee3...@btinternet.com

Sep 30, 2021, 7:15:29 AM9/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Pleased to report that, having found the two files, I have managed to replace them both.  They were both from LPs I'd copied on Audacity.  I don't know what was wrong with them but I rerecorded them, added them to their respective albums, scanned disc, compressed and saved.  Both now play as expected and I no longer have WAV files in my settings & status. Thanks for the help!

John Gwynne

Nov 28, 2021, 4:56:57 AM11/28/21
to Brennan Forum
I've had two instances occur (in the week or so I've had my B2) of small files (4kb acording to Windows explorer) with a .wav extension.  These are in addition to big .wav files which the B2 does compress OK. The small files have the same name as the big ones but with ._ in front.
This is after ripping the CD on laptop using iTunes, because the B2 database can't find the album.  It only occurs with some disks however, not all.

After compressing ceases, the B2 still reports n WAV files.  Find them using windows explorer and simply delete them.  Next time it happens I'll post a screenshot and more detail.

Daniel Taylor

Nov 28, 2021, 6:16:32 AM11/28/21
to Brennan Forum
Files with the leading ._ are probably from an Apple computer.  They are companion files and do not contain music.  Run the Cleanup command (Maintenance menu) to clear those away.

John Gwynne

Nov 28, 2021, 6:57:40 AM11/28/21
to Brennan Forum
Yes that's it.  Most off-B2 ripping I've done with a Windows PC but a couple I've done on Macbook.  I shall avoid this in future - thanks.

PMB

Nov 30, 2021, 7:29:10 AM11/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Gwyn,

Cleanup can be found in the Maintenance menu. Make sure the B2 isn't playing when you run it.

Paul
Brennan Support.