Backing up B2 files via command line (Mac/Linux)

Ed

Nov 12, 2019, 7:10:53 AM11/12/19
to Brennan Forum
Probably Windows as well for those who can drive the tools.

If none of this makes sense then it is of no interest to you.

The B2 supports access via ssh/scp and ftp, I'm sure graphical clients will also work but I used the command line.

The user name is root and the password is in the documentation for setting up a NAS. So, if the B2's IP is 192.168.0.2 then

# I started NAS mode on the B2 but I'm not sure if this is necessary for the following to work

# First cd to the directory where you wish to place the files

<password when asked>
# scp or ftp commands here
cd /media/hdd1
ls
get -r b2db music
exit

Isn't fast and interestingly scp runs just about as fast as ftp (1.1-1.3Mb/s) which I wasn't expecting but it gets the job done and I didn't have a USB stick or disc to hand to copy the data.

Daniel Taylor

Nov 12, 2019, 7:16:55 AM11/12/19
to Brennan Forum
If you prefer to copy files via command line tools, that's fine and your choice.  But once setup as NAS, the B2 hard disk can be addressed just like any other disk connected to your computer.  That allows drag and drop within the file manager program.  Very easy, and doesn't require remembering a lot of command line syntax.

Ed

Nov 12, 2019, 7:20:26 AM11/12/19
to Brennan Forum
Yes I tried that on my Mac  but it didn't seem to work and I was in a hurry

Ed

Nov 12, 2019, 7:22:32 AM11/12/19
to Brennan Forum
Hmm very slow to respond. It does work if you connect as root, but I have the command line going now and I can schedule overnight jobs which is difficult to do via GUI.

Tony

Feb 28, 2020, 11:02:28 PM2/28/20
to Brennan Forum
Some time ago I added an rsync server to my B2 for use with incremental backup software from my main server.

Enjoy.