Help with DLNA

Robert

Aug 14, 2019, 12:33:02 PM8/14/19
to Brennan Forum
I was previously using the LAN connection but downloaded the DLNA option. I lost the LAN connection after installing DLNA so I stopped it using the Brennan menu.

I can see the Brennan in Media Devices (I should add I'm using Windows 10) but I'm not clear on how to view my music. If I click on the Brennan icon I'm taken to a web page that shows "MiniDLNA Status" I'm not sure what that info means. If I right click on the Brennan icon I can open Windows Media Player but the Brennan doesn't show up under "Manage Libraries". Once DLNA is installed am I stuck with it or can it be stopped like the LAN Connection? Any help navigating this would be appreciated.

Peter Sommer

Aug 14, 2019, 1:59:26 PM8/14/19
to Brennan Forum
I went through the same process.  Go to your B2 and find the Start NAS command;  I now have my NAS access restored.  And the Brennan disappears from the list of media devices in Win10's network display.   I guess DNLA is an "experimental feature" at the moment - unless some-one tells me otherwise.

PMB

Aug 15, 2019, 3:19:08 AM8/15/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Guys,

DLNA is experimental and requires you to make some changes to the B2's configuration file, which I assume means delving into the B2's software. I've not attempted this yet but it's on my list for when I get a moment.

Others on the Forum may be able to  explain the required changes and how to do them.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Russell...@hotmail.com

Aug 15, 2019, 3:34:04 AM8/15/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Folks - As with you Robert I've had exactly the same experience with DNLA - I am going to retry NAS with a boosted WiFi later on today so I can see the B2 on my Windows 10 network, (at the moment I can't see it)  hopefully that will work - otherwise I can't seem to see it through NAS,  and with DNLA it's visible,  but not really operational.

Edwyn Corteen

Aug 15, 2019, 9:05:10 AM8/15/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi All

Have a look at the thread below, has lots of details on how to set up DLNA, WARNING! VERY experimental, but does, sort of, work.

PMB

Aug 16, 2019, 4:03:44 AM8/16/19
to Brennan Forum
HI All,

Here's a link to another post discussing DLNA.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Robert

Aug 16, 2019, 11:12:44 AM8/16/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi All, I'm not sure how to edit the "file" what file, to get the DLNA functional?  Not sure what VI is for instance. I've been reading through the comments and there have been update/corrections to the line that should be edited. There seem to be a lot of smart programmers out there but I'm not one of them and now i'm totally confused and over my head. Could somebody please provide simple, clear, I'm not familiar with Linux, steps on how to modify the file?Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

Daniel Taylor

Aug 16, 2019, 2:29:11 PM8/16/19
to Brennan Forum
Robert,
To get DNLA working requires a level of technical experience that is not easy to acquire quickly.  Nevertheless, I'll try and answer a few of your questions.

The config file to be edited is "minidlna.conf" without the quotes.

To get to the Raspberry Pi (Linux) command line you need to run a program such as putty which you have installed on your computer.  It's a free download.  There are instructions on the forum on how to use it.  Search for "putty" and/or "SSH".

I think VI is a text editing program. I don't know if it already resides on the SD card or if you have to download it.  You'll have to do some research.  There are probably other alternatives.  Another way to edit the file would be to take the mini-SD card out of the B2 and use an adaptor to plug it into a USB port on your computer and use a text editor there.

I hope others will contribute, as Robert may need more help than I can give.

Russell...@hotmail.com

Aug 17, 2019, 5:33:02 AM8/17/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul - Is there anything further on getting rid of DNLA - I've restored NAS, rebooted, run Cleanup and Scandisk - rebooted and removed Brennan B2 (Root) from my Network, which is what shows when DNLA is active, but I can not simply get Brennan B2 to be recognised - so I have to assume the DNLA function is somehow overriding the NAS function - when I go back to Windows 10 Settings and adding network devices it only shows the Brennan B2 (Root).  Ed has been very kindly trying to help me with this but to go forward I think I need to get the B2 recognised by NAS and remove DNLA but this seems to be a big big problem - Cheers Russ

Daniel Taylor

Aug 17, 2019, 7:59:44 AM8/17/19
to Brennan Forum
You can get rid of DLNA by reflashing your SD card.  Instructions are on the Brennan website on the page called Techy Stuff.  See "SD Card Image" at the top of the left column, and "How to change the Micro SD Card" at the top of the main column.

Robert

Aug 17, 2019, 8:50:06 PM8/17/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Daniel, Thank you for the explanation. I think I'll wait until the Brennan crew updates the software to make the DLNA more user friendly.

PMB

Aug 20, 2019, 4:08:58 AM8/20/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Russ,

If you don't think you can repro' the SD Card email us on -  the  brennan  b2  @  gmail  .  com  - without hyphens and spaces - requesting a replacement SD Card.  We will need an address for delivery and know whether the SD Card on your unit is the external type (slots in the from the RHS of the case) or internal (can't be seen protruding from the RHS of the case).

Paul
Brennan Support.

Russell...@hotmail.com

Aug 20, 2019, 4:34:13 AM8/20/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul - what actually is the SD Card and function etc? My trouble here is I am spending more time setting up my B2 than listening. I find the instructions provided on the site are often unclear to me or ambiguous or just too technical. However if you can provide a very step by step instruction to do the above I sure I can manage. Cheers Russ

Russell...@hotmail.com

Aug 20, 2019, 4:47:16 AM8/20/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi again Paul - sorry I meant to ask also - can I plug a wireless dock for headphones into the B2 and if so where?? The model of headphones is Sennheiser RS 175 optical or 3.5mm connection - (I know this is not DLNA related but hopefully you can tell me quickly)

PMB

Aug 20, 2019, 6:14:30 AM8/20/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Russ,

The SD Card holds the operating software for the B2 i.e. the software required to make the B2 work. Replacing the SD Card is probably the easiest way to return the B2 to it's pre 'Get DLNA' settings.

Regarding the headphones, you can either use the Line Out socket by connecting a 3.5mm stereo jack cable to the Sennheiser box or an optical cable (the Line Out on the B2 also doubles up as the Optical output) between the B2 and the optical input on the Sennheiser. I see the Sennheiser comes with an optical cable but you may need to buy a mini TOS adapter to make it fit the B2 -
Pro Signal Adaptor, Toslink Socket to 3.5mm Plug | PSG08101
Alternatively we sell a suitable optical cable in our online shop - see SPDIF.

If you use the Line Out connection (3.5mm stereo cable) the B2's volume control is still active. If you use the Optical connection the B2's volume control doesn't affect the volume so you will need to use the volume controls on the Sennheiser.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Russell...@hotmail.com

Aug 20, 2019, 6:29:43 AM8/20/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul - Thanks that's clear re the headphone connection - I didn't want to damage the B2 but could see the connection needed for optical was different at the back and I wanted to use the optical option. Re the SD card - that's what I'll do then - I will e-mail the request later on today for a replacement SD card and just replace that once it's arrived. Cheers Russ

Russell...@hotmail.com

Aug 21, 2019, 11:47:32 AM8/21/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul - I have bought the TOS adapter for the headphone set up and all is well. Just a quick query -  to mute / unmute the B2 speakers (mine are Brennan) is it just physically removing the optical cable from B2 each time or is there another "toggle" that can be used to switch between B2 speakers and B2 headphone mode. I have checked with Sennheiser and there is no toggle on the headphone so just thought I would check with you on this one - Cheers Russ

Dennis Lefebvre

Aug 21, 2019, 12:10:04 PM8/21/19
to Brennan Forum
THIS discussion of the Jack Sense setting explains two options:

Jack Sense
The normal behaviour of the B2 is to disable the loudspeakers/power amplifier if something is plugged into the SPDIF/Line out. It doesn’t matter whether it's optical or electrical.
If you would like the B2 to continue to drive the loudspeakers - because you want the B2 speakers in parallel - then you can disable this behaviour with
Settings -> Jack Sense -> Jack Sense Off

If you want to keep the headphones permanently attached it sounds as if you could use Jack Sense OFF to have both phones and speakers on simultaneously, and turn the volume down to 0 to effectively mute the speakers.

Russell...@hotmail.com

Aug 21, 2019, 12:20:26 PM8/21/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Dennis -  thanks for pointing that out - it's not a biggy but may help with wear and tear of constantly plugging and unplugging from B2 and with optical connected the volume on the headphones works perfectly for this operation. Cheers Russ

Russell...@hotmail.com

Aug 23, 2019, 8:07:01 AM8/23/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul (& All who have helped) - The new SD card has been installed and WiFi enabled and NAS restarted - all is well and I have been able to map to the Brennan and see all the music through Windows 10. In fact as I type I am in the process of backing up to my Laptop hard disk over WiFi - so that takes a fair old time - about 12 hours to go - yawn.
I'm not sure it matters but I still can not see the B2 as a wireless device that I can add to the network through Windows 10 settings etc - I'm not sure why that should be as for instance I can see our Sonos device - but the B2 is just not visible - still I've got to where I need to - Cheers All - Russ

Edwyn Corteen

Aug 27, 2019, 11:48:48 AM8/27/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Russ

Not sure what you mean here? The B2 connects to your home WiFi and you connect to it using the WebUI, it will not appear as a network device on its own.

Your mobile phone can probably act as a mobile hot spot that other devices can connect to, this is not available on the B2, however the new portable BB1 does have a hot spot so this may come to the B2 eventually if people would find it useful?

Daniel Taylor

Aug 27, 2019, 12:23:42 PM8/27/19
to Brennan Forum
Russell,
I'm confused by your recent post.  On the one hand, you say " I have been able to map to the Brennan and see all the music through Windows 10."  Yet then you go on to say "I still cannot see the B2 as a wireless device that I can add to the network through Windows 10 settings."  Those two statements seem (to me, at least) to be in contradiction.

Russell...@hotmail.com

Aug 27, 2019, 1:17:01 PM8/27/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Daniel / Ed & All - Yes I'm confused too - The B2 is mapped via Windows 10 & my home wireless network - and after installation of new SD card Paul sent the mapping process as described on the Home site worked fine. However the B2 is not seen at all as a wireless device - either if you look under Windows Explorer & Network to see if it's there or if you go into Settings / Devices/ Add Bluetooth or other Device. (It can be seen as a Bluetooth device to add but not as a Wireless device and I have not added it as a Bluetooth device) However like I said I have mapped to it and backed up onto the laptop HD using WiFi . I am also using the Web UI from the laptop with no current issues. If I am in any respect being a technical moron please feel free to point that out to your hearts content !! Cheers Russ

Daniel Taylor

Aug 27, 2019, 3:00:39 PM8/27/19
to Brennan Forum
At the risk of making a fool of myself, I am still confused.  If you cannot see the B2 as a wireless device under Windows Explorer, then how are you able to back it up onto the laptop using WiFi?

Russell...@hotmail.com

Aug 28, 2019, 4:10:18 AM8/28/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Daniel - I totally agree. I thought the B2 would need to be seen and recognised on my home network and then mapped to - as I said even if I search for it in Settings and Add Devices it is not seen as a wireless device. Just to test I played a backed up track copied onto the laptop - just on the laptop no B2 involvement and it played the selected track - however the B2 is still not seen as a visible device on my Network within Windows Explorer  and WiFi usage of UI via laptop is fine ??? Cheers Russ

Daniel Taylor

Aug 28, 2019, 7:14:00 AM8/28/19
to Brennan Forum
At this point, I must admit that I almost certainly cannot help you.  But my curiousity is getting the better of me.  Given that you cannot see the B2 as a wireless device on your network in Windows Explorer, how were you able to back it up onto your laptop?  When you mapped it as a network drive, that worked, right?  Then don't you see it as its assigned drive letter?

Russell...@hotmail.com

Aug 28, 2019, 7:34:46 AM8/28/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Daniel - maybe we're talking X purpose but The mapped drive is Z and I can see that as a folder in Explorer but I thought that Windows needed to see the item existing in the first place in order to map it - but if not it's me confusing the issue. However the B2 as a media / device is not listed as part of the network.  See screen shot below of the current status a la Russ. Cheers

Daniel Taylor

Aug 28, 2019, 7:57:59 AM8/28/19
to Brennan Forum
I see it.  It's the last item on the list under This PC.  It's named "music (\\BrennanB2) (Z:)".

Russell...@hotmail.com

Aug 28, 2019, 8:04:56 AM8/28/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Daniel - Yes I realise that is there,  but I was really asking how can it be recognised,  when it's not seen either at once as being on the Network by Windows Explorer or if I try to add it as a device through Windows settings - If you look at the Windows images for devices on the Network it is not there and it can not be added through settings - so am I making a basic misunderstanding ?? Cheers Russ

Edwyn Corteen

Aug 28, 2019, 8:49:48 AM8/28/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Russell

I think I have worked out what is missing, since you have a new SD card you have not switched on NAS, go to menu/settings /maintenance and switch on NAS. you should then see a network device called BRENNANB2

Dennis Lefebvre

Aug 28, 2019, 8:51:55 AM8/28/19
to Brennan Forum
As I understand, when you map the B2 as a network drive (Z: in your example) you make the B2's music files available to the PC.  The PC sees the B2 as a hard drive, nothing more. If you had DLNA running on the B2 it could be recognized as a media device by the PC -and- by other devices on the network.

Rather than fiddle with DLNA I copied all the files from the B2 to a USB drive, plugged the USB drive into our router, and configured it as a media share, which other devices have recognized automatically.

Russell...@hotmail.com

Aug 28, 2019, 8:59:08 AM8/28/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Ed - Thanks for the input on this - however after setting up the WiFi again switching on NAS was the first thing I did - I remember because I made a note to myself to do that very thing thinking it was an easy step to forget. Cheers Russ

Russell...@hotmail.com

Aug 28, 2019, 9:11:53 AM8/28/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Dennis - Thank you - certainly will not be fiddling with DLNA soon as this is how I got here in the first place - but and apologies if I am being very dense,  how does the laptop see the B2 as a hard drive if it doesn't seem to be able to recognise it as a device with NAS running - when DLNA was running on the B2 that was where it was recognised but only as BrennanB2 (Root) and within that no files were visible. Good idea about the USB and Router though as I do need portable storage in any case - probably about 256Gb. Once again thank you all for the input and I am very happy to reply to anybody on this but do not waste time on my behalf as this is in effect an annoying niggle to me and I am enjoying my music - Cheers Russ

Dennis Lefebvre

Aug 28, 2019, 9:55:23 AM8/28/19
to Brennan Forum
I have not yet tried this, but it may find network devices, such as the B2, that do not automatically identify themselves:

Russell...@hotmail.com

Aug 28, 2019, 10:08:49 AM8/28/19
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Dennis - I will take a look see and let all know - I am also going to set up again - just out of curiosity to see if it appears,  according to the Brennan site it should see BrennanB2 after clicking on Network whereas I had to skip that bit and then map - hence my confusion. Cheers Russ

Daniel Taylor

Aug 28, 2019, 3:23:30 PM8/28/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Russell,
I'm a bit out of my depth here, but I'll tell you what I think I know.  Before you mapped the B2 to a network drive, Windows could see it as a device on the network, but it did not list it for you in the list (and still doesn't).  It had to be able to see it or it couldn't have mapped it to a drive letter.  I think this is peculiar to Windows 10.  There may be those who are able to manipulate Win10 to get it to do what you want, but I'm not one of them.

Personally, I'm happy to have my computer (Win7) be able to see the B2 as a NAS drive.  I don't even want to wade into the waters of DLNA.  At least not until Brennan makes it easier and it leaves the realm of experimental software.

Russell...@hotmail.com

Aug 28, 2019, 5:04:06 PM8/28/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Daniel - What you say makes sense, but I'm happy to leave the Sleeping Windows 10 Dog snoozing with no further manipulation. You also make me chuckle about wading into the murky waters of DLNA - I'm right behind you on that one - behind you and running full speed for the beach !! Cheers Russ

PMB

Aug 29, 2019, 4:16:51 AM8/29/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Russel,

On my Win 7 system BRENNANB2 is listed under the Network tab. Sometimes it takes a few minutes, after booting up, to be shown - the first time I tried it seem to take ages..

I've never been able to locate the B2 using 'Add a device' or seen it listed under 'Devices and Printers' and assumed it was a B2 thing....

I have mapped the drive and found it listed under 'Computer'.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Russell...@hotmail.com

Aug 29, 2019, 4:46:41 AM8/29/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul -  I think what you highlight is the possible difference (as mentioned by Daniel) between Win 7 & 10. In 10 when Network is clicked on it automatically seems to search but it has never added or updated the B2 for me - this only takes a few secs, there is no browse and update function I'm aware of that would take a long time. If in Windows 7 using the "Add Device" can you add it as a Bluetooth device from that choice - I can do that but just not add as a wireless device. I only ask out of curiosity but I can't remember properly if Windows 7 lets you choose between BT and Wireless Devices.  Cheers Russ

Dennis Lefebvre

Aug 29, 2019, 7:11:57 AM8/29/19
to Brennan Forum
For context, HERE is a discussion from 2017 about Network attached storage not appearing in Windows 10 Network since recent update. The causes discussed are various security policy settings.

Russell...@hotmail.com

Aug 29, 2019, 1:55:18 PM8/29/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Dennis - Congratulations - I think if we were crime writers you might get The Golden Dagger Award for best mystery solved. At least it's highly plausible for what's causing the variable results of what people see on their home networks. Cheers Russ