Audacity recordings playing slow on B2

peter k

Nov 15, 2020, 5:57:37 PM11/15/20
to Brennan Forum
Following advice from these pages I have been using Audacity to capture some vinyl recordings. With some learning I have managed to get three LPs to the B2 (with some other issues). However, when I come to play them back on the B2 they are playing really slow. When I play the transferred files on my PC they are fine.
Anyone come across this- and know what's happening?

Thanks

Daniel Taylor

Nov 15, 2020, 7:42:59 PM11/15/20
to Brennan Forum
I may not have the same version of Audacity that you do, but they should be similar enough.  I see in the top left part of the Audacity window, there is a slider to adjust the speed.  That should be set to 1.00x when you do the recording and when you save the track to disk.  I don't know what would happen if that were not set correctly, but it seems to be a likely thing to check.  Another thing to check is in the Audio Properties of the original file, look to see that it is 44.1 kHz, 16 bits, 1,411 kbps.

peter k

Nov 16, 2020, 9:37:54 AM11/16/20
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Daniel,
I have a slider at the top right. If I hover over it says 'Playback speed'. Same one?
Where would I find the data - 44.1 kHz, 16 bits, 1,411 kbps.?
Despite this, why would the files play ok on the pc but not on the B2??
Cheers, Peter

Daniel Taylor

Nov 16, 2020, 1:58:40 PM11/16/20
to Brennan Forum
I just wondered if the speed was set differently than 1.00x that maybe it would impact the speed at which it was played back.
Those other details can be found in the Properties box (on Windows machines).  If you right click on the file, down at the bottom of the menu it says Properties.  After you click that, there is a tab for Audio Properties.  For a Mac, there is proably a comparable way to get the same info.