B2 No Mobile link plus radio and upgrade not working

Deirdre Lee

Dec 29, 2021, 5:43:57 AM12/29/21
to Brennan Forum
Hello, I have a May 2016 version B2 which I have generally used for listening to my ripped CD's, and  the existing radio stations. When I got it, Apple was not linked so I could not get my phone to link to it. In the last 6 months or so the internet radio was not working ( Invalid station) and I have been using another radio in the house.
I tried rebooting and checking internet - clock was correct.
I tried Web upgrade - Download Failed was the sign.
I switched everything off - router and Brennan and moved it closer to the router.(15 mins etc)

On browsing the site to do the above I saw that apple mobile links are now possible so I downloaded the app and tried to find my Brennan - no sign so used the manual IP address, but still no joy. I redid the IP address in the router but it is still not finding it.
Do you have any more suggestions for me?

Daniel Taylor

Dec 29, 2021, 5:53:48 AM12/29/21
to Brennan Forum
The "Download Failed" message suggests that your current software may be too old to do a Web Upgrade.  What version are you running?

Deirdre Lee

Dec 29, 2021, 6:06:57 AM12/29/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi, it is May 5 2016 version

JFBUK

Dec 29, 2021, 6:15:14 AM12/29/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi,

is your B2 showing an IP (network) address ?

When you first boot the B2 you will see the address displayed on the scrolling front display of the B2

It will be something like 192.168.0.123

John

Daniel Taylor

Dec 29, 2021, 6:16:57 AM12/29/21
to Brennan Forum
That's really old.  At this point, my knowledge is insufficient to tell you exactly how to proceed.  You will either have to do a Software Update from a USB stick with the downloaded b2.tar.gz file; or you will have to flash an SD card using the Etcher program with the image file.  If you want the new B2B software, then it will be the latter method.  Standby, and I'm sure someone will fill in the details for you.

Deirdre Lee

Dec 29, 2021, 6:22:16 AM12/29/21
to Brennan Forum
Yes I get the IP address and I have updated it and it reads with the new address so to speak. I tried using a usb to upload the B2 Tar.gz file into the C port but it still hasn't done anything...

JFBUK

Dec 29, 2021, 6:44:41 AM12/29/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi,

your software version is old but I am not aware of any reason why you could not upgrade from what you have to the latest B2 version.

When you tried the USB method did you your format the drive on the B2 ?

There should be nothing on the drive apart from one file, b2.tar.gz

John

Deirdre Lee

Dec 29, 2021, 6:46:33 AM12/29/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks John,
I used a clean new usb stick but wasn't sure which b or b2 file to use. I'm just trying it again with the b2.tar.gz file

Deirdre Lee

Dec 29, 2021, 6:49:45 AM12/29/21
to Brennan Forum

When I attach USB to the C port - which option on the menu do I select, is it the Import or Load database option?

JFBUK

Dec 29, 2021, 6:53:51 AM12/29/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi

Just checking that you got your file from the Brennan Latest Software webpage ?

just above the link its gives you the menu function to use :)

Screenshot 2021-12-29 115118.jpg

Deirdre Lee

Dec 29, 2021, 7:11:13 AM12/29/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi again John, that seems ok - it said Rebooting  and underneath said software upgraded, the radio is working.... but still won't find IP address for my mobile... I just scanned the QR code which loads it as a page to control whats on, but its not via the App. Is it possible to get the App to work?

JFBUK

Dec 29, 2021, 7:14:37 AM12/29/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi,

yes but you need your phone to be connected to your home wifi network.
i.e. it won't work if you are using just mobile data

John

Deirdre Lee

Dec 29, 2021, 7:21:27 AM12/29/21
to Brennan Forum
Yes john, it is connected to my home wifi network. Yesterday I went into the router and changed the IP address which is showing the same number on the Brennan display that I changed it to. When i try the App ( which I deleted and reinstalled ),
it can't find it and when I type in the IP address for manual setup it says 'Brennan could not be found' :(

Deirdre Lee

Dec 29, 2021, 7:38:06 AM12/29/21
to Brennan Forum
Brennan.JPG

Graham Smout

Dec 29, 2021, 8:15:55 AM12/29/21
to Brennan Forum
if your iPhone is using  your own network  you should be able to see it in your router Network info page ( eg below ) Network jpg.JPG   . Obviously the iPhone will show up with a different IP address. In the screen shot above  I can type the IP address of my B2 (192.168.1. 184 )  into any device cbrowser onnected to my network  to access the Web UI and on any Apple device, iPad or iPhone I can use the Brennan iPhone App and it finds the B2 with no issues. Thesame should be true for you.
The B2 will only connect to the 2.4Ghz network - as is shown in your screen shot. In the past there has been an issue with some devices seeing  the B2 if they are contented to a 5Ghz network. This is a router issue,  not connected with the B2 .
Good Luck

JFBUK

Dec 29, 2021, 8:45:03 AM12/29/21
to Brennan Forum
hi ,

when you start the app you should see what looks like a little mini hifi top right

Screenshot 2021-12-29 134149.jpg

Click on that

You should get the Discover page with a list of available Brennan devices

Is it blank in your case ?

John

Deirdre Lee

Dec 29, 2021, 9:02:10 AM12/29/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks John, Yes it is blank it goes straight from home page into Welcome to Brennan - we have finished searching your network, you can select form list below - which is blank - and has the manual setup option which when I enter my IP address, it says Brennnan could not be found - very strange.. I'll check my phone re the 5Ghz situ..

JFBUK

Dec 29, 2021, 9:12:55 AM12/29/21
to Brennan Forum
If you start a browser on your phone and type in the IP address of the B2 what results do you get ?

John

Deirdre Lee

Dec 29, 2021, 9:29:12 AM12/29/21
to Brennan Forum
It goes onto the site but I can't access home page - it's similar to the QR scan situ this is what I get
Brennan B2 phone.png
I have looked at my router and found my phone was linked into the router - I changed that so the address is no longer private and it is now on 2.4 Ghz. I'll do a switch off and on again to see if that helps

Deirdre Lee

Dec 29, 2021, 9:37:33 AM12/29/21
to Brennan Forum
no joy, with reboot of phone and system :(
Sorry it seems a tough one to get to the bottom of...

Deirdre Lee

Dec 29, 2021, 9:50:15 AM12/29/21
to Brennan Forum
Do you think I need a new SD card?

JFBUK

Dec 29, 2021, 9:51:52 AM12/29/21
to Brennan Forum
what is the IP address of your iPhone ?

Graham Smout

Dec 29, 2021, 10:28:06 AM12/29/21
to Brennan Forum
Possibly there is a rogue setting on your iPhone.  Try and  delete the iPhone App  then restart the phone and reinstall it.
To me it looks like your iPhone isn't listed in the list of connected devices on your router connection table. We can only see the B2

Which iOS version is your iPhone using? Possibly the Brennan App won't work well on very old versions of iOS for iPhone. In any case if you can update the iOS and reboot your phone as well. Then reinstall the App
Which Wi-fi Network is the iPhone connecting to? 2.4 Ghz or 5Ghz?
1. As John says, what's the IP address of the iPhone on your wireless network?
2. Make sure that in - iPhone ->settings->Wi-Fi is on and then go into the settings for your network and double check these
Wi-Fi -> ON
Network Name - should be displayed

3. Auto Join - should be ON
4. Private Address -  ON
5. Low data Mode - OFF
6. Configure IP - Automatic
7. IP Address -  should read the same value  as the setting for your iPhone shows  your router  as in step 1

8. DNS
configure DNS -> Automatic

9.  HTTP Proxy
Configure Proxy -> OFF

Deirdre Lee

Dec 29, 2021, 10:38:00 AM12/29/21
to Brennan Forum
Thank you both for your continued assistance... I  have to go out now but will check all the points you have mentioned above and let you know later this evening. Thanks again :)

fred.w....@gmail.com

Dec 29, 2021, 7:18:43 PM12/29/21
to Brennan Forum
This thread is long, in case this has not been said, you need a new image of the Brennan software writing afresh to an SD Card. This cannot be done by a Web Upgrade. You need to reflash your existing (or a new) SD Card or more easily purchase a new SD Card with the software on it from Brennan's web site.

Fred

PMB

Dec 30, 2021, 4:49:55 AM12/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Dee,

I think it would be a good idea to update the SD Card. You can either program a new card yourself - see our Techy Stuff page - link - or purchase one from our online shop at www.brennan.co.uk.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Deirdre Lee

Dec 30, 2021, 9:12:57 AM12/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks again folks,
I tried the various bits above but it is still not working and the radio is back to only 1 station. I have just ordered a new SD card and will keep fingers xd for a magical replacement cure. Thanks again - much appreciated :) Dee

fred.w....@gmail.com

Dec 30, 2021, 9:19:11 AM12/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Dee,

Good, pleas tell us how you get on with the new card when it comes, we like to know how things turn out.

Fred

Deirdre Lee

Jan 10, 2022, 5:21:23 AM1/10/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Fred,
My new SD card arrived on Friday, popped it in did an upgrade and its all working perfectly - radio and phone connection :)

Thanks again for all the input from everyone

fred.w....@gmail.com

Jan 10, 2022, 8:16:48 AM1/10/22
to Brennan Forum
That's great Dee, thank you for the feedback - enjoy your music!

Fred