B2 480G WiFi, USB devices

Peter Appleyard

Jul 14, 2020, 6:50:48 AM7/14/20
to Brennan Forum

First I am delighted with B2 and the FLAC compression is brilliant. But I would appreciate help with a couple of problems:

WiFi: On first installing the WiFi dongle, ‘B2 root’ appeared on my Windows10 network page for a few hours only, then vanished. WiFi continues to work, the clock shows and Internet Radio works.

Tried 1m USB extension cable to WiFi dongle, same result.

Connected B2 to computer through Ethernet cable, same result.

Shortcut ‘C:\Users\gomni\Desktop\brennan\brennan B2 480G was made, reports ‘Justin Maggard, Windows Media Connect compatible (MiniDLNA), Digital media server, Unavailable’.

Transport UPnP http://192.168.0.24:8200/  192.168.0.24 refused to connect.

USB: I need B2 to connect to the computer because B2 will not read my 16GB USB stick backup made from JB7, reports ‘No USB Device’. Copied the backup to a compatible USB hard drive and restored from there. But B2 will not accept additional music from this USB drive, expects backup files only.

Have formatted several USB sticks and drives as FAT32, but B2 reports ‘No USB Device’ in every case. A WD My Passport 512Gb SSD drive arrived today, B2 reported ‘No USB Device’. Formatted it as FAT32, same response.

 Peter Appleyard

Peter Lowham

Jul 14, 2020, 8:12:22 AM7/14/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter,

In answer to your queries:

First of all, your B2 is connected correctly to your router, so there's no problem there.  Your wireless connection appears to be fine, as you are able to use the Internet radio.

To connect from your computer to the B2, either wired or wireless, from your PC browser use the URL below; it is just the IP address of your B2.

In the URL window type '192.168.0.24' (without the quotes) or whatever IP address shows in the scrolling window on your B2's front panel.  The IP address shown in your email is 192.168.0.24

The 'B2 root' icon indicates that 'DLNA' is enabled.  This has nothing to do with normal user access so you can ignore this. I would disable DLNA but I cannot find the option to do this yet!

Regarding the USB sticks/ drives, where did you format the devices?   I have found that if you first plug the device into the B2 USB port, then go to 'Settings' -- 'Maintenance' -- 'Format USB A' (or 'Format USB C') then you should find that the B2 will be able to 'see' that device correctly from that point on.

Also, what version of B2 software are you running?  Using the B2 remote control, press the 'Info' button twice and you should see 'Version ........'

Keep us posted.

Regards,
Peter.

PMB

Jul 15, 2020, 3:17:13 AM7/15/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter A,

B2 root indicates that DLNA on the B2 is turned on. Using the front control go to the Maintenance menu > select DLNA > turn control to 'Off' > click (press and release the control).

Paul
Brennan Support.

Peter Appleyard

Jul 15, 2020, 6:31:04 AM7/15/20
to Brennan Forum

Many thanks Peter for your most helpful assistance, also Paul Bird for DLNA information.

Typed B2 url address into browser, B2 "Refused to connect". I can live with this now that you have resolved my USB formatting problems.

For DLNA Paul advises Maintenance menu > select DLNA > control to OFF > Click. I have turned it off.

Formatted USB devices originally with Easus Partition Master FAT32 option, doesn't work on B2. But using your suggested Settings > Maintenance > Format USB C works perfectly for USB stick and WD 512GB SSD drive. USB Functions > Import from C captures all my additional music, SSD drive now doing backup.

Software version reports B2B, NAS off, DLNA off.

Am really pleased to be able to get help and within an hour of posting!

Regards and thanks, Peter Appleyard

Peter Lowham

Jul 15, 2020, 8:04:11 AM7/15/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter A,

Good to know that the B2 format has cleared up the USB devices problem. The B2 is a bit fussy about the device formatting for some reason but once you know that then life gets much easier when doing Exports and Backups.

With regard to accessing the B2 from your PC, I am wondering if, when you type in '192.168.0.24', is your PC browser auto-filling in and causing '192.168.0.24:8200' to be called?  This might be a hangover from your previous attempts to connect to the B2.

I tried this on my B2 using  '192.168.1.76:8200' (in my case) and did get the 'Refused to connect' message.

I then typed in '192.168.1.76:80' and immediately was reconnected with my B2 (i.e. forcing the browser to use port 80 which is the 'http' port.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards,
Peter.