CD Drive faulty?

Ian Zirins

Oct 15, 2021, 7:20:18 AM10/15/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi, Purchased my 480gb B2 this week, installed fine, ripped 26 CDs yesterday, one wouldn't read, so left it until the end of the batch and reinserted it and read ok.
Left the unit compressing overnight, this morning it refuses to read any CD, nor play it.
When a CD is inserted the drive spins up briefly then makes a grinding noise and display eventually says CD Empty.
Is this a faulty drive?
Thanks
IAN

Peter Lowham

Oct 16, 2021, 2:06:02 PM10/16/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Ian,

It would be worth running (from the front panel):

'Settings'-->'Maintenance'-->'Advanced'-->'Reset CD'  and see if that makes any improvement.

If that doesn't help, then I tnink that the CD drive might be faulty.

Regards,
Peter.

jdidd...@gmail.com

Oct 18, 2021, 2:40:57 AM10/18/21
to Brennan Forum
I also have a fairly new B2 and my drive no longer recognizes cds. Is there an option other than sending it in for service? Can I purchase a replacement drive and install it myself?

Jeff

Daniel Taylor

Oct 18, 2021, 5:20:07 AM10/18/21
to Brennan Forum
To me, it seems like it would be a reasonable option to replace the drive yourself.  You'd have to send them a message and see what they say.  Send an email to thebrennanb2 (at) gmail (dot) com (with appropriate adjustments to that address string).

Ian Zirins

Oct 18, 2021, 5:25:51 AM10/18/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks all - did all the diagnostics and contacted Brennan support directly, diagnosed as a faulty CD, for which I am getting a complete replacement with a new B2, as it was only 3 days old. Great service from Support, I can accept that a hardware fault is just "one of those things"

Ian Zirins

Oct 18, 2021, 5:27:52 AM10/18/21
to Brennan Forum
Oh and as an addendum, I have an external USB CD drive for my Mac that I will try once the replacement unit is received - ISTR reading that ripping via an external drive is faster and saves wear and tear on the internal drive

Daniel Taylor

Oct 18, 2021, 5:39:46 AM10/18/21
to Brennan Forum
It is true that using an external CD drive is faster and saves wear and tear on the internal drive.  However, I'm not sure if an Apple drive will work with the B2.  Other drives will work though.

Daniel Taylor

Oct 18, 2021, 5:48:43 AM10/18/21
to Brennan Forum
Ian sent me a message, saying:
"Not an apple drive, generic cd/dvd drive"

Daniel Taylor

Oct 18, 2021, 5:49:23 AM10/18/21
to Brennan Forum
Should be good then.

PMB

Oct 18, 2021, 8:20:10 AM10/18/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Ian and Jeff,

Please try doing a Web Upgrade - Settings menu - to make sure the B2 is running the latest software.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Rob Thomas

Oct 18, 2021, 9:55:54 AM10/18/21
to Brennan Forum
I have the EXACT same issue.  New 480gb B2 - ripped about 11 CDs, left it on over night - then insert a CD - grinding noise - says CD Empty.    Later in the day, after turning the unit off, it worked fine (on the same CDs). (which makes me wonder if this is a heat issue....)

I've captured the logs when this happens:

************* sonosDiscoveryThread started **************

CD state changed 1

BLUETOOTHINITIALISED

No BT MAC address saved

CD state changed 2

refreshSonosActive ()

CD state changed 4

WAKEUP in webListPlaylists ()

Note that when it works correctly - it goes from CD state changed 2 to CD state changed 3.

Here is the system data:

Software Version B2B Oct 15 2021 11:04:21

212 tracks in 15 albums 15 artists

31 WAV 181 FLAC 0 MP3 0 AAC

Capacity 480.00G Used 3.57Gb

USB 0 tracks in 0 albums 0 artists

0 Youtubes

Finally - If the issue is hardware related - I too would be open to installing a new CD drive.

Thanks!

Rob Thomas

Oct 18, 2021, 10:00:07 AM10/18/21
to Brennan Forum
And resetting the CD does not resolve the issue.

PMB

Oct 19, 2021, 8:30:07 AM10/19/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Artho...,