dbPoweramp-flummoxed

harlond57

Sep 26, 2021, 12:38:36 PM9/26/21
to Brennan Forum
I received my BB1.  Since I got it I've been trying to convert the Flac files on my B2 backup to mp3, but it's not working as I expect.  The Brennan website says the BB1 can hold up to 10,000 mp3s, but I can't get anywhere near that number.  All of my conversions end with mp3 files of about 10mb.  I could get about 3100 on the BB1, but I was hoping for 2.5-3 times that number.

I've selected every parameter with reducing the size of the end file in mind.  I'm using the filter button to select for conversion AAC, FLAC (fla. and Flac), all the MPEGs, and wav. files.  For my target disk, a 64gb Sandisk USB drive, I selected Free Format and pushed the kbps to its lowest setting, 320.  On the Advanced menu, I selected -q 5.  Then I started the conversion.  This nets me the 10mb mp3 files.  Anyone know how I can get these mp3 files to 2-4 MB?  (I'm trying it now with -q 9, which promises "fastest low quality.")

I know I've had a lot of questions lately.  Let's face it, I'm tech-challenged.  Anyway I appreciate all the help I've received.

Jeff. M.

Sep 26, 2021, 12:56:56 PM9/26/21
to Brennan Forum
I've mirrored all my mp3s from my B2, about 6,500 odd. And I have them all on a 32gb usb stick with  room to spare. My conversion was at 128 kbps!

Peter Lowham

Sep 26, 2021, 1:44:14 PM9/26/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi harlond57,

The basic problem here is that you have selected the mode 'Free Format' in dBpoweramp, and this is restricting your compression rate to 320 Kb/sec.  If you select 'Constant Bit Rate (CBR)' instead you can select '128Kb/s' for compression, and this should get you to the taget of 10,000 mp3s on a 32GB BB1.  For an average track this should produce an mp3  file size of about 3 MB or thereabouts.

I would be inclined to select the '.wav' files first and see what space you are left with after that operation is complete.  Then decide what to do with the remaining files.

Regards,
Peter.

harlond57

Sep 26, 2021, 4:01:23 PM9/26/21
to Brennan Forum
Well this is looking better, thank you.  300 files in and we're averaging 4.8 mb.  Still a little big.  If I moved the CBR rate down some more, would they get smaller still?

JFBUK

Sep 26, 2021, 4:26:01 PM9/26/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi,
Yes the lower the bit rate the smaller the file should be but remember that every step down impacts the quality of the audio for playback as MP3 is a “lossy” format
John

Peter Lowham

Sep 26, 2021, 5:28:52 PM9/26/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi harlond57,

For music quality, 128Kb/sec is generally regarded as the minimum setting which still gives a reasonable playback quality.

Regards,
Peter.

harlond57

Sep 26, 2021, 9:40:42 PM9/26/21
to Brennan Forum
Understood.  My ambition was to be able to transfer my entire B2 collection to the BB1.  At 128KPS, it appears I will not be able to do that.  If I had known, I would have started with 64gb or 128gb.  Upgrading it myself I feel is beyond me.

PMB

Sep 27, 2021, 4:35:54 AM9/27/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Harlond57,

If you are in the UK our service agent 'Audiotech' will upgrade - fit a larger SD Card - your BB1 for a modest fee.

audiotechcontact   @   gmail   .   com   (no spaces).

Paul
Brennan Support.