Question on WAV to FLAC compression

Gavin Dent

Apr 14, 2022, 4:05:04 AM4/14/22
to Brennan Forum
Hello,

I have just purchased a new B2 and have a quesiton. I have ripped all my CD's and they have converted to wav format. I read on the website that they will be converted to FLAC in the background. Can you please explain how this works as all the CD's are still showing as wav not flac format.

Thanks.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Apr 14, 2022, 4:21:06 AM4/14/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Gavin,

When you rip a CD using the Brennan B2, the B2 ALWAYS rips the music off the CD as a WAV file.
You can set/choose what format you want these WAV files to end up as using this front menu function.
a.JPG
Then
If you leave the B2 powered on and idle (playing no music or open Web UI) it will begin to automatically compress any WAV files it finds to the Format you have chosen (by default FLAC - the "best" option).
If you use the B2 at any point while this is happening, no worries, the B2 pauses the compression and does what you ask. It will start compressing again when it is next idle.
If you want you can also kick start compression using this front menu Function.
a.JPG

Compression can take a long time

Fred

fred.w....@gmail.com

Apr 14, 2022, 4:42:33 AM4/14/22
to Brennan Forum
OH Forgot to say

The Compression acts on WAV files not any other Format so you can not get the B2 to go back to WAV or compress a non WAV file into a different format.
(The exception to this is FLAC+MP3 which acts on FLAC files and creates a "hidden" (from the B2 interfaces) MP3 copy. This is used if you want to create and export MP3 versions of your music for playing say in a car which only plays MP3)

Fred

Gavin Dent

Apr 15, 2022, 4:46:07 AM4/15/22
to Brennan Forum
Thanks for the reply and my collection is now compressing. I should note that my B2 did not automatically compress when idle - it only compressed when I selected the compress now settiing that you mentioned.

Daniel Taylor

Apr 15, 2022, 5:48:12 AM4/15/22
to Brennan Forum
The B2 will not go idle and start compression if the WebUI (or app) is open.