streaming music

Alan Wilhelmi

Sep 8, 2021, 10:36:07 PM9/8/21
to Brennan Forum
I wonder if anyone can answer my question. How would I go about using a streaming service like spotify or amazon music thru wifi? I know you can use You tube thru the computer interface or connect to a phone by blutooth, but the sound quality should be better thru WiFi. Sincerely, Alan Wilhelmi

JFBUK

Sep 9, 2021, 3:03:13 AM9/9/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Alan,

You can playback from Spotify by enabling Librespot.
More detail here

You still select and control music in the Spotify app on your phone/tablet/computer.
Spotify will see the B2 as a a ‘Spotify Connect ‘ device. You will need a Spotify premium account to make this work with the B2.
You cannot do this with Amazon Music on the B2 as Amazon have not made the connectivity so readily available to 3rd party manufacturers.
John

Darryl Kozel

Sep 27, 2021, 5:54:59 PM9/27/21
to Brennan Forum
When I go through the Advanced menus, I don't see  "Get Librespot". My software is B2 September 20, 2921. Any ideas why I'm not seeing the Librespot download option?

Daniel Taylor

Sep 27, 2021, 7:40:00 PM9/27/21
to Brennan Forum
The only thing I can think of is that you have to turn the knob very slowly in order to avoid skipping an item.  Your software is recent enough that the command should be there.  And the Menu list on the Brennan website says the command should be in the Advanced menu.

PMB

Sep 28, 2021, 2:58:18 AM9/28/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Darry...,

It's the last option between HDMI Fix and Demo.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Peter Lowham

Sep 28, 2021, 7:10:27 AM9/28/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Darry...,

The 'B2' software version does not have the Libresoft option.  You will need to upgrade to the 'B2B' software version.

You can re-flash your existing (micro)SD card by following the instructions on the Brennan webpage or you can order a new preloaded 'B2B' card from the Brennan shop.

Scroll down to the item 'New SD Card' to see what to do.

Regards,
Peter.

Daniel Taylor

Sep 28, 2021, 7:31:51 AM9/28/21
to Brennan Forum
I wondered about that.  But on the Latest Software page, it says that the 24th/26th May 2020 "update adds the Librespot (Spotify) capability to B2 and BB1."  I now see that at the top of the left column of the Spotify - Librespot page, it says "you need the latest B2B SD card" for this feature.

Paul, maybe you should change the Latest Software page to say B2B instead of B2 for the Librespot release note.

Davywhizz

Sep 28, 2021, 9:35:52 AM9/28/21
to Brennan Forum
I wondered about it too. I moved from B2 to B2B mainly to try Spotify.  But this bit from the website made me think the position had changed (latest software page):

20th September 2021
This upgrade for b2 SD models has all the recent b2b improvements.

Peter Lowham

Sep 28, 2021, 10:49:31 AM9/28/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi All,

The wording for 20th September is confusing.

I have plugged a B2 version card into a B2 1TB unit and run 'Web Upgrade' on it.  The version is now showing as 'B2 Sep 20 2021'.  This is not a B2 SD model as it has a 1TB HDD fitted.  However the B2 software has been updated but the following points are valid.

The 'Get Librespot' function is not present in the 'Advanced' menu.
The 'Get Ethernet' function is not present in the 'Advanced' menu.

The B2 software runs on the Linux kernel, which runs and manages the 'core' of the B2, memory, disk and USB management to name a few.

So these differences are possibly there because the 'B2B' software runs on Linux 4.19 whereas 'B2' software runs on older Linux 3.12.  3.12 was desupported in May 2017 which means that any current development work (software and drivers for example) will not be back-ported to this version.

Linux 4.19 is still supported, with a desupport date of December 2024, so this version is still current, although development of this release will be starting to wind down because Linux 5 was released in March 2019.  The current long term supported version is Linux 5.10 so that might be the next major upgrade but only Martin will know that.

Regards,
Peter.

PMB

Sep 29, 2021, 4:28:35 AM9/29/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi All,

I have reworded the Latest Software 20th Sept 2021 (let me know if it makes better sense) and am working on a paragraph about the differences between b2 and b2b software versions.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Davywhizz

Sep 29, 2021, 6:13:51 AM9/29/21
to Brennan Forum
I wouldn't want your job Paul, but you did ask. I'd say the new wording makes it clearer that you mean the B2 software, but it's still potentially confusing, depending on how the reader interprets "the recent" B2B updates. You took out "all" but it's still implied and "recent" can mean different things to different people. Your additional para on the continuing differences will help I'm sure.

Theo Simon

Sep 29, 2021, 6:48:39 AM9/29/21
to Brennan Forum
Yes someone said that bluetooth is enhanced/better with the B2B but I also read that Brennan will no longer continue to develop Bluetooth.

I use bluetooth almost exclusively at the moment for the B2 and would be very keen to see what version the Brennan B2 is using so look forward to the ' differences between b2 and b2b software versions.'

Many thanks