B2 connection problem

Ian Barber

Oct 1, 2021, 7:09:57 AM10/1/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Guys,

I have just bought a B2 2TB and have managed to rip a few cd's as well as set-up the wi-fi, though not yet set-up any radio stations.
So, I cannot get any sound out of the B2 at present, with the volume on B2 set @ 60 using the optical output into my DAC/Sound system. However, it looks like the B2 is only outputting to speakers, which are not connected as I use  my hi-fi via the DAC.
So, should the output of the B2 be set @ 100 %  on it's volume control knob, and should it be set to output to the optical output, please ? If so I can alter it's volume,but how do I change it to output only from the optical port, please ?
Cheers

Ian

fred.w....@gmail.com

Oct 1, 2021, 7:58:41 AM10/1/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Ian

When outputing using the optical connection, the B2 volume settings have no affect. The output is DIGITAL!

If you have any headphones, try plugging a pair into the socket instead of the optical cable  and see if you can hear anything (B2 volume will work for headphones).

If you can hear music, try another optical cable to your DAC.

Fred

fred.w....@gmail.com

Oct 1, 2021, 8:01:19 AM10/1/21
to Brennan Forum
Ps the port is dual function, electrical for headphones and optical for DAC, you do not have to do anything except plug in whichever cable you want to use.

Daniel Taylor

Oct 1, 2021, 8:39:18 AM10/1/21
to Brennan Forum
It's possible, although unusual, that the reason for no sound is when the Audio on HDMI (TV) box is checked in the WebUI status window.  That box should be unchecked for there to be sound anywhere else.  It's a long shot, but worth checking.

Ian Barber

Oct 1, 2021, 10:04:06 AM10/1/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Guys, I will try again later, as I have just ripped 500 tracks this afternoon, so it is copressing them all to flac which is likely to take at least 6 hours. Another question, is it best to leave the b2 well alone when it is doing the compressing, please ? Cheers

Daniel Taylor

Oct 1, 2021, 10:21:16 AM10/1/21
to Brennan Forum
Yes, definitely leave it alone while compressing.  Many folks wait to leave it to do compression overnight, when it's most convenient to leave it alone.

And that is directly connected to the good advice to never ask the B2 to do more than one thing at a time.  It does not handle multi-tasking well.  Trying to do more than one thing simultaneously can lead to perplexing problems.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Oct 1, 2021, 11:11:36 AM10/1/21
to Brennan Forum
Seconded  with that good advice 😁

Ian Barber

Oct 2, 2021, 11:49:33 AM10/2/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Guys,
Problem now solved, many thanks for all your comments and help, much appreciated.
I did plug in a pair of headphones last night and they worked fine. So, this morning I checked the cable/adaptor and got a light at the DAC end, so it must be working ... The problem must be elsewhere, at the DAC I thought. And it was, partly because of the complicated wiring that I use and partly because the DAC is set-up for CD use with a separate transport. CD use requires a lower level of gain on the DAC volume control using coaxial cables, whereas the optical requires a higher level of gain using the DAC volume control, and a different channel.  Amazing sound quality, depending on the quality of the recording on the original CD. I have not set-up any radio stations as yet, but I have checked the field strength, as was suggested on another post on the forum, and it was fluctuating  between 26 and 28 which is very good, apparently. Not surprised it is that high, as the router is only a couple of feet away from the B2 when in use ! Cheers

PMB

Oct 4, 2021, 4:00:06 AM10/4/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Ian.h...,

Glad to hear you have the optical out working now.

Very good WiFi signal!

Paul
Brennan Support.