rip and play simultaneously

James Skakoon

Nov 26, 2021, 11:06:18 PM11/26/21
to Brennan Forum
I'd like to play a CD at the same time that I rip it (i.e. the same CD). Possible? I know I can play a stored CD as I rip a new one, but playing/ripping together would be handy.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Nov 27, 2021, 5:50:07 AM11/27/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi skak

While you CAN rip and play it is BEST not to. The Brennan units only have a very small computer in them and they do not like doing two things at once.
Best advice is to set yourself up to rip your CD collection , about 20-30 CDs at a time then leave the unit on overnight to allow it to compress these CDs to FLAC then next day do the next batch of CDs.
It take a bit of time to get through your collection but it is a one time job!
Also every 3 days do an incremental backup of your unit ("Export to USB A or C") so that you have a good backup of your music collection.

Hope this helps
Fred

David Kemp

Nov 28, 2021, 4:41:51 AM11/28/21
to Brennan Forum
I'd love to know how you CAN rip and play simultaneously on a Brennan, seeing that each option requires reading at different speeds. How can you listen to a CD being ripped at (say) x12 speed when you need to play it at x1 to hear it?

David

fred.w....@gmail.com

Nov 28, 2021, 4:54:54 AM11/28/21
to Brennan Forum
a.JPG

Daniel Taylor

Nov 28, 2021, 6:13:21 AM11/28/21
to Brennan Forum
Regardless of whether the B2 will try to rip and play at the same time, you should not try it.  The B2 is known to be poor at handling multi-tasking.  To ask it to do too much at once is only asking for problems.  Sometimes the problems are not too hard to deal with, and sometimes they are a real pain.  You have been warned, twice.  Proceed at your own risk.

Part of me is curious to know what will happen if I start a disc playing and then tell the B2 to rip it while it's playing.  But I've seen first hand what can happen when trying to get the B2 to do two primary functions at the same time.  And I will not take the chance of things getting scrambled up.

PMB

Nov 30, 2021, 7:27:07 AM11/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi All,

Just a quick try and it doesn't appear to be possible to play and rip at the same time - it's one or the other.

Paul
Brennan Support.

David Kemp

Nov 30, 2021, 7:47:12 AM11/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Well, there's a surprise! (not)

Chris Buckle

Nov 30, 2021, 8:48:33 AM11/30/21
to Brennan Forum
But probably not for the reason you think, David. My car does this effortlessly; probably by always reading the CD at high speed (eg 12x), caching the resulting data and then playing back at normal speed.
Chris

David Kemp

Nov 30, 2021, 8:52:51 AM11/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Chris
Yes, I'm aware it is possible using other devices but I certainly thought the Brennan was incapable of this.
Best wishes
David