Can't connect to B2 as NAS

eric jennings

Dec 27, 2021, 8:07:01 AM12/27/21
to Brennan Forum

On the front panel, selected Settings > Maintenance > Start NAS.

Brennan displays 'Upgrade SD' for a second or two then reverts to the clock.

It does not display any message such as ‘done’ or ‘complete’.

Is there any way to check, on the B2 itself, if this was successful or not?

On my windows 10 pc (tried on two different laptops) I cannot see the B2 in my network devices. If I try to connect by typing "\\192.168.x.y\music" into explorer it eventually fails. I do not get prompted for username/password.  The error message is 'the remote device or resource won't accept the connection' and 'The device or resource (192.168.x.y) is not set up to accept connections on port "The file and printer sharing (SMB)"

I have double and triple checked I am using the correct ip address as displayed on the front panel.

As it is the same error on 2 laptops I assume it is something I have to do on the B2 but I don't know what.

I have no issues connecting to the B2 GUI from the same laptop.

In the GUI > Settings it shows FW as "Oct 15 2021 11:24:17"

Any help would be much appreciated.

eric jennings

Dec 27, 2021, 8:20:46 AM12/27/21
to Brennan Forum
I should also add that  SMB1.0/CIFS Client  is enabled

JFBUK

Dec 27, 2021, 9:24:35 AM12/27/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Eric,

to check that NAS is set to on you can press the info button on the remote 3 times.

Each press will scroll through info on the B2 settings.

as regards the NAS setup - have you seen this , put together by Paul  @ Brennan ?

It sounds like you have done most things though ?

On your Win10 computer:

This stage only required if the B2 doesn't show in 'View network computers and devices' (see the next stage)

  • In the 'Type here to search' box type - Turn Windows features on and off (you don't have to type all of this as you will be prompted by the computer).

  • Click on 'Turn Windows features on and off'

  • Scroll down to 'SMB1.0/CIFS File sharing support' and expand the section - click on the '+' box

  • Select the second item - SMB1.0/CIFS Client - it may already be selected so no need to select again

  • Click on OK.

On the Win10 computer:

  • In the 'Type here to search' box type View network computers and devices

  • Click on 'View network computers and Devices'

  • BRENNANB2 should be displayed on the 'computer' line - if not wait a while (it can take a while to show the first time) and try refreshing the 'View network....' page.

  • Double click on BRENNANB2 - a pop up panel will open

  • Enter user name = root

  • Enter password = brennan and click on OK

  • The B2's 'music' folder will be shown - double click to open it - this can take a while as the computer needs to load all of the files on the B2's HDD.

  • Once loaded a list of Artist folders will be shown

  • Double clicking on an Artist folder will show the Album folder/s associated with the Artist

  • Double clicking any Album folder will show the Tracks and Album Artworks

You can then edit these folders and files as you would any folders/files on your computer e.g. create new folders, copy and paste, cut and paste, rename, delete, etc.

You can also copy music from your computer (iTunes, etc) to the B2 whilst in NAS mode - make sure you maintain the correct Artist - Album - Track folder format so the music is correctly displayed on the B2.

Please note - any changes you make on the computer are local to the computer and must be transferred to the B2 by running Scan Disk - Settings menu - on the B2. If you leave the computer session without running Scan Disk, any changes will be lost.

JFBUK

Dec 27, 2021, 9:26:06 AM12/27/21
to Brennan Forum

meant to add

Can you see your B2 using the web UI from your laptops ?

John

eric jennings

Dec 27, 2021, 1:25:44 PM12/27/21
to Brennan Forum
Yes I can see the web ui.

The problem is the start has command.
Info > info > info  shows NAS off DLNA off spotify off.
Any idea why nas wont start?

JFBUK

Dec 27, 2021, 3:04:31 PM12/27/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Eric,
Can you try to start NAS again.
From the menu
>SETTINGS>MAINTENANCE >START NAS

If it works it should briefly say ‘Done’ and then return to the clock display

John

eric jennings

Dec 27, 2021, 3:14:37 PM12/27/21
to Brennan Forum
I've tried that half a dozen times.
It always briefly displays "upgrade sd" then the clock.
Never displays "done"

eric jennings

Dec 27, 2021, 4:03:32 PM12/27/21
to Brennan Forum
Oh and I have a bt smart hub 2

JFBUK

Dec 27, 2021, 4:22:29 PM12/27/21
to Brennan Forum
Eric,

what happens if you do a web upgrade of the B2 software ?

John

eric jennings

Dec 27, 2021, 4:23:03 PM12/27/21
to Brennan Forum
Just found notes in the website tech section. I think my b2 shipped before Nov 2016; so I may need a new sd card. I'll try replacing the old card

fred.w....@gmail.com

Dec 27, 2021, 4:45:51 PM12/27/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Eric,

Yes if your B2 is 2016 you will need a new SC Card to move forward.I

Fred

William White

Dec 29, 2021, 2:23:55 PM12/29/21
to Brennan Forum
I too had problems connecting to the NAS from the windows 10 network (no problems at all on my iMac) and and have tried all the suggested solutions, the trick that worked for me was to go to the network window and type “ \\ BRENNANB2” without the quotation marks, and I was immediately offered the “login” prompt, username “root” password “brennan” worked perfectly. I’m not sure why this worked, but think it’s worth a go.
Regards, Willy.

eric jennings

Dec 31, 2021, 9:18:23 AM12/31/21
to Brennan Forum
Sorted.
I have an older model and needed to get a new SD card.
Thanks for all the help and suggestions