500 external hard drive

Histopathkid

Oct 21, 2020, 9:04:07 AM10/21/20
to Brennan Forum
Non tech question. Having gaffered about trying to convert to FLAC32, when will Brennan remarket a usable external drive. Marked ‘sold out’ for some months.

Daniel Taylor

Oct 21, 2020, 10:38:31 AM10/21/20
to Brennan Forum
I can't speak for Brennan.  But there are many hard disk drives that are available that will do the job.  The maximum capacity that the B2 can handle is 2 TB.  Since you're interested in 500 GB, that won't be a problem.

Brennan also recommends the Toshiba Canvio Basics models.

Mark Fishman

Oct 21, 2020, 6:57:42 PM10/21/20
to Brennan Forum
Let's add to the confusion a little bit more. Histopathkid asks about an external drive, and refers to "converting to FLAC32", which is not a disk format -- that would be FAT32 -- and isn't an audio file format either -- that would be just FLAC.

Daniel then suggests an internal HD model, something else entirely.

If we start at the beginning, maybe we can make some progress. Internal or external drive? For use with a Brennan device, either disk must have an MSDOS partition table -- not the newer type (GPT) -- and one partition, formatted as FAT32. MS-Windows will NOT do this for any partition over 32GB in size. You can do it on the Brennan device, though, IF your external drive either requires very low power or can be powered from an AC wall socket with its own power supply. (A third option is to use a USB hub that has its own power supply.)

If you use Linux instead of MS-Windows or Mac, you can format to FAT 32 quite easily .I use a Linux tool called gparted (graphical partition editor), which looks very much like the old Partition Magic program.

Good luck -- m.

Daniel Taylor

Oct 21, 2020, 8:38:34 PM10/21/20
to Brennan Forum
On Wednesday, October 21, 2020 at 6:57:42 PM UTC-4, Mark Fishman wrote:
Daniel then suggests an internal HD model, something else entirely.

My apologies for muddying the water.  I did buy that hard disk, and I put it in my B2.  Then I took the one that came in the B2 and put it in a housing to make it USB connectable.  Here's the caddy I bought:

PMB

Oct 22, 2020, 4:12:57 AM10/22/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Histopathkid,

You can buy almost any portable USB HDD and format it to FAT32 on the B2 - See out 'How To's' pages - link - on the web site.

I use the Toshiba Canvio Basics USB3.0 1TB HDD (bought from Argos circa £44).

Paul
Brennan Support.