MP3 Bitrate

Daniel Taylor

Jan 29, 2021, 5:24:05 PM1/29/21
to Brennan Forum
Normally, I rip to FLAC, so I've never checked how it rips to MP3.  The other day, I ripped a CD on the B2 with compression set the MP3-256kbps.  Today, I just happened to notice that the files that were ripped that day were encoded at 128kbps.  I know that is another option, but it's not what I chose.  That day, I was running 09 Dec 2020 software.  Is this a bug that's so far gone unnoticed?

Peter Lowham

Jan 29, 2021, 5:43:15 PM1/29/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Daniel,

Yes, I noticed this issue and reported it to Paul a few days ago.  The problem still exists on the 'B2B Jan 26 2021' version.

Regards,
Peter.

Daniel Taylor

Jan 29, 2021, 7:45:53 PM1/29/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Peter.

PMB

Jan 30, 2021, 9:04:20 AM1/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Daniel and Peter,

It's on the bug list.

Paul
Brennan Support.

lesliebr...@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2021, 9:11:15 AM1/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Daniel, read your post and was curious. Most of my mp3s were already ripped on my PC and were transferred via the B2 upload facility and later NAS. I decided to run a wee test.
I'm on software version B2 26th Jan 2021
I ripped a CD with the mp3 compression rate set to 265k.
Let it compress the files and then looked at them using NAS on my PC.
There were 10 tracks all had different bit rates, ie  120, 108, 115, 112, 116, 115, 120, 112, 124 and 124 kbs.
None were 128k or 256k spot on. Any ripped mp3s tracks I've done on my PC have a defined bit rate ie. 128k or 256k.
Any ideas folks.

Daniel Taylor

Jan 30, 2021, 10:32:23 AM1/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Leslie,
I only checked two of the files from that CD, and they both said 128k.  I was only ripping on the B2 as a test (for what, I've forgotten now).  I have since deleted those files and gone back to ripping on my computer and transferring via USB.  In my two years of activity in the forum, from what I've read, ripping on the B2 seems to be the area with the most reported problems, so I just avoid it altogether.  And now, the very first time I try to rip on the B2, I encounter a problem.

lesliebr...@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2021, 10:48:54 AM1/30/21
to Brennan Forum
I was only curious about what you found and ran the wee test. It's definitely not doing what it's supposed to. I also rip or download to the PC and then transfer to the B2 via NAS. I'm not adding big amounts of files now my collection is all on the B2, so speed is not a problem. Still it's something that needs to be explained and addressed.