External CD Drive/B2 compatibility?

Simon F

Jan 26, 2021, 6:07:47 AM1/26/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi All.

I've had my B2 for about 3 years, and until recently I've not had any problems with the B2 accepting any CDs.  Then last autumn it happened.  When I inserted a disc, the B2 just did'nt want to know, and put no info up on the display, and when I pressed play.......nothing.  It has now happened with about half a dozen CDs since.

So, I thought ok, I'll use my external CD/DVD drive via USB Port C and by pass the B2's CD mechanism.

I connected the external drive to USB port C, THEN powered up the B2.  The LED on the external drive should have lit up, but didn't.  When I brought up "USB Functions" on the B2's display and pressed the "OK" button the display read "NO USB Device", and instructed me to plug one in.

I have been using a TAESSV External CD/DVD Drive 3.0, which doesn't require plugging into the mains for power.  It works fine with my laptop.  Has anyone else encountered this issue?  Is it a compatibility/suitability issue?  If it is a compatibility issue, can anyone recommend a good external CD drive that is sure to work with the B2?

Your thoughts please.

Daniel Taylor

Jan 26, 2021, 6:23:08 AM1/26/21
to Brennan Forum
It could be a power issue.  Try plugging the external drive into the A port, which I think provides a bit more power.  If that doesn't work, it could still be a power issue, in which case you could try putting a mains-powered USB hub between the B2 and the external CD drive.  People have reported good success with that method.

PMB

Jan 27, 2021, 4:32:55 AM1/27/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Simon F,

Try Daniel's suggestions and let us know how it goes.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Peter

Jan 27, 2021, 2:37:18 PM1/27/21
to Brennan Forum
I found that I had to format my external hard drive whilst it was connected to the Brennan.  It was already formatted on my PC but ith eB2 didn't want to know.  Like you I was perplexed.  I also find it easier to transfer flac ripped CDs via a USB stick.
Regards
Peter