BB1 Set up

David Schmidt

Mar 1, 2021, 1:10:58 PM3/1/21
to Brennan Forum
I purchased a BB1 for my wife for Christmas primarily for internet radio use. I have installed the app on my iphone 6 although I do not see the app available for Mac Desktop.  I am having difficulty with set up as my iphone does not "see" the Brennan on the page which says "you can select a Brennan from the list below". When I try to do manual set up I do not see the IP address for the Brennan anywhere. I also tried to plug a USB drive into the back and it apparently does not recognize that either. It does play the pre installed music...

The Brennan shows the wifi symbol on the screeen.

Peter Lowham

Mar 1, 2021, 2:17:07 PM3/1/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi David,

If there is no IP address beside the WiFi symbol, then the BB1 is not connected to your WiFi router.  There should be an address of something like '192.168.1.50' or similar.

If you go intp 'Main Menu' --> "Settings & Tools' --> " Setup Wifi' --> 'Pick Network' and see if you can see and select your home network.

Regards,
Peter.

David Schmidt

Mar 1, 2021, 4:35:58 PM3/1/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks. Did that. I see my router and entered the password from the back of the router (it is "password") then pressed next. The Brennan says connecting but I still do not see an IP address. We have a few devices,  2 or 3, on our WI FI network and I know that our wifi  is functioning.

Peter Lowham

Mar 1, 2021, 5:25:17 PM3/1/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi David,

I'm suspicious of the wireless password being 'password'.  That is more likely to be the 'Admin Password' for the 'admin' access for the router maintenance.  The key that you are looking for is 'Wireless Password' or 'Passphrase Key' which should be something like 'siX636RghHY4CT' (I've made this up but it ishould be something completely unguessable). Have another look on the back or bottom of your router.

Regards,
Peter.

PMB

Mar 2, 2021, 3:37:42 AM3/2/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi David,

The USB stick needs to be formatted using FAT32 in order for the BB1 to recognise it. There are many free software downloads available for formatting to FAT32. Please be aware formatting erases all content so make sure you do not need anything on the USB stick.

Let us know how the WiFi set up goes.

The password you need to enter is the one you use for your computer, phone, etc. The one on the rear of the router is probably for an 'admin' login.

Paul
Brennan Support.

David Schmidt

Mar 2, 2021, 2:01:01 PM3/2/21
to Brennan Forum
I attached a photo of my router. All I see is the admin/password.  I checked on Netgears website and figured out how to change the password. I had never used the password before as it is not needed with anything I have used on wifi before. That had no effect. This does not seem to be the data the BB1 is looking for.

On Monday, March 1, 2021 at 1:10:58 PM UTC-5 David Schmidt wrote:
IMG_9526.JPG

Mike W

Mar 2, 2021, 4:23:16 PM3/2/21
to Brennan Forum
You could always log on to the router using admin/password and look at the wifi settings, this will give you the ssid and password settings.

Mike

Mark Fishman

Mar 2, 2021, 6:43:47 PM3/2/21
to Brennan Forum
If you have been able to connect your computer, phone, etc., to your home wifi without ever entering a password, then you might have an UNSECURED home wifi. If there is no password or passphrase then anyone can connect to it and see all your devices and traffic, which is why it's a bad idea, but maybe that is what you have. Or have you used the WPS method (push a button on the device and on the router and they "talk" to each other to set the password for the conection)?

If we pretend for the moment that there is no password, i.e., no encryption, have you tried connectng the Brennan by leaving the password field entirely blank?

fred.w....@gmail.com

Mar 2, 2021, 9:26:23 PM3/2/21
to Brennan Forum
Strange - on looking for the user manual for this router on the Netgear site is see this
a.JPG
and this

a.JPG

This does not appear to be present on your system.

Try connecting your PC to the router using one of its Ethernet ports (i.e a direct connection) and open your browser and go to
" http://www.routerlogin.net"    (use the "admin" and "password") to log in when or if prompted (you may not need to log in).
You should see a screen that looks like this.
a.JPG
Note down the SSID and Password you see (where I have highlighted them)

and use these to connect your BB1

Fred

Mark Fishman

Mar 2, 2021, 9:41:46 PM3/2/21
to Brennan Forum
Fred:
(a) you found a photo and a manual for the WNDR3400v3 -- David Schmidt seems to have the WNDR3400 (no "v3"). Maybe the earlier(?) model isn't supposed to have that info.
(b) David also wrote that he has been able to use wifi with that router without ever entering a password (passphrase?), so he probably doesn't need to connect his computer with an ethernet cable to use http://www. routerlogin.net. He can probably get there from his computer however it's currently connected.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2021, 8:58:24 AM3/3/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Mark

You are probably correct, I suggested a direct connection because that way we could be sure 1 :)
What I suggested doing will nail down what his WiFi SSID and password actually are!

Fred

fred.w....@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2021, 7:29:41 PM4/3/21
to Brennan Forum
Got this from David in my e-mail
======================================
David Schmidt
3 Apr 2021, 23:20 (1 hour ago)

to me
I took a few weeks off due to work issues and I was not getting anywhere anyway. Bought a new router and successful set up took 5 minutes. Thanks to all who provided support although it looks like I am not replying to the group in general .

--
David Schmidt
My response

And no, you have not replied to the Forum group, I will post this email there for you - come back to the Forum if you need more help at any time.

Fred

Fred