Start up issues

Andy Branch

Jan 7, 2022, 6:53:22 AM1/7/22
to Brennan Forum

Hi

 I recently bought the B2 via Amazon.

I read through the documentation and have started to load CDs onto the device.

I kept the B2 switched on for the loading and compressing as it was a constant load and then had to move the device. I switched off the device and moved it to another location.

I switched on again and the only activity is that the green and red lights are flashing continuously for a long time. Supposed to be about 4 seconds before the device has started.

I then checked the web site and the advice was to open up the back and check that the SD card is correctly positioned, I pulled out just enough to see the SD card, aware that there may be other connections around. I removed the SD card and reinserted but still the same thing.

There is nothing working other than a steady hum and no front display is showing at all.

 I have loaded a lot of CDs now and do not want to lose what I have added.

 Could you please give me some guidance as to what other steps I can do.

 I have also sent an email to the Brennan email address.

Many thanks

Andy

Daniel Taylor

Jan 7, 2022, 7:04:54 AM1/7/22
to Brennan Forum
It sounds like the SD card - either the software on it, or the card itself - has become corrupted.  Since your B2 is under warranty, the company should send you a new card.  If you want to move more quickly to resolve the problem, and are comfortable with the idea, you can try to re-flash the software on the card.  The instructions are on the Techy Stuff page of the Brennan website, top of the left column.  Of course, if the card itself is bad, that won't work.  Could be worth a try though - nothing to lose at this point.

Don't worry about the music you have loaded.  It's still there on the hard disk, which is separate from the SD card.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Jan 7, 2022, 8:24:07 AM1/7/22
to Brennan Forum
Just one point, when you switched off the B2, did you press and hold in the Stop/Play button until "Saving" appears on the front display, then waiting for the clock time to re appear before switching off the power?
NOT following this procedure for power off can lead to corruptions of the HDD and the SD Card if the B2 happens to be writing to one or the other at the time.

Fred

Andy Branch

Jan 7, 2022, 9:34:23 AM1/7/22
to Brennan Forum
Many thanks Fred. Will contact Brennan direct on their email address.
I did do that procedure but in any case there was no writing to either at the time I switched off, all compression had stopped and no ripping or playing was being done.

Andy

Steve Russ

Jan 7, 2022, 11:14:34 AM1/7/22
to Brennan Forum
Not wanting to sidetrack the OP's thread, but is it acceptable to turn the B2 off when the red light is solid and the time is displayed indicating that the B2 is on standby or only after performing a save via holding the play/stop button?

Thanks!

fred.w....@gmail.com

Jan 7, 2022, 11:28:23 AM1/7/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Steve,

Most of the time you will get no issues just turning the B2 off, especially if all you have been doing is playing music. However, if you have ripped anything or made any alterations using the Web  UI  or NAS, since last power up or if the B2 has been YouTubing etc then there is a risk that its buffers will not be flushed and therefore may be corrupted if the data is not saved as it should be. Also if any Disk IO is happening at the point of power off, a corruption may happen.

Therefore it is BEST to get into the SAVE first power off routine ! Make it a habit and your life will be better😁

Fred

Tom Piette

Jan 7, 2022, 11:43:11 AM1/7/22
to Brennan Forum
Gosh I did not know the risk. I think there has been a couple times I've turned it off while it was doing a compression figuring it was just in standby anyway.

PMB

Jan 9, 2022, 10:40:20 AM1/9/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi tjpi...,

If the B2 is in standby, solid red LED and displaying the time and the date, then it is OK to power off. Otherwise it's best to always do the 'saving' routine before removing power.

Paul
Brennan Support.