B2

Brad

Nov 5, 2021, 2:12:49 PM11/5/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi,  I am thinking of acquiring a B2 but need to clarify 2 matters. My music library is all downloaded onto my Mac and about 40% are HD Studio masters. FAQ's indicates the B2 can play HD (24bit/96-192kHz) tracks but indicates the "Optical Out'" is limited to 16bit (CD quality). Question -1, can HD tracks be played from the HDMI port via an HDMI to Coaxial/Optical converter then connected to a DAC?
Question - 2, will the "Optical Out" be upgraded to 24bit sampling in the future?

Daniel Taylor

Nov 5, 2021, 3:34:29 PM11/5/21
to Brennan Forum
Q1:  That's an interesting prospect.  Although I can't say for sure, if such a device exist and works with other devices, then I'd think it would work with the B2.  I'm pretty sure the device must handle HDCP handshaking.

Q2:  I don't speak for the Brennan company, but I'd be quite surprised if that ever were to happen.

The B2 has been known to play higher resolution files, but as you said, it down converts them to 16 bit/44.1 kHz.  However, depending on the particular files involved, playback may be erratic.  For those two reasons, I recommend that you convert your high res files to 16/44.1 before you load them onto the B2.  They'll take up less disk space, and be more likely to play without a problem.

Daniel Taylor

Nov 6, 2021, 9:34:41 PM11/6/21
to Brennan Forum
Brad sent me this message:
"Hi Daniel,
Many thanks for your response. Using an HDMI out would indicate it should be HD sound as with all TV and video sound.
I have a quality HiFi system and don't wish to downgrade my 24bit files to 16bit.
There are other similar units I know of that handle HD files in and out but are much more expensive.
Is there a portal for me to pose my questions directly to the Brennen company?
Cheers."

Hi Brad,
Unless you have something that you particularly want to keep private, please post in the thread so that everyone can benefit from the discussion, and others can contribute.  To do that, click/tap on the "Reply all" button at the bottom of the page.

The HDMI output does not ensure HD sound.  It only sends whatever is presented to it, so long as what is sent is within its bandwidth.  Most TV sound is not HD at all.  It is compressed and has lower resolution than CD quality.  DVDs and Blu-rays often do have HD sound, to varying degrees.

I know of at least one unit that is similar to the B2, which is made by Bluesound.  And as you said, it's more expensive.  There are other network players that can access NAS drives and do similar things, but the cost is even higher.  I imagine you've read about some of them.  In my own opinion, the B2 is not really the audiophile quality as you would find in Stereophile or The Absolute Sound, but when the signal is fed to a high quality external DAC, the sound is very good.  If you happen to be one of the folks with golden ears who must have higher resolution than CD standard, the B2 is probably not for you.

The portal for you to pose your questions directly to Brennan is this forum.  Paul, the Brennan rep, reads and responds in the mornings (UK time)  M-F and sometimes on Saturday.  There are quite a few knowlegable folks who contribute here, but who are not Brennan employees.

Brad

Nov 6, 2021, 10:14:52 PM11/6/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Daniel,
Point taken on the "Reply All. Done.
Point also taken ref quality of TV and video sound. Obviously picked up a misunderstanding on that matter. Being corrected is constructive.
My question for Paul is - can a HD track from the B2 HDD be passed to an external DAC in HD for HD playback?
Cheers.

PMB

Nov 8, 2021, 4:23:40 AM11/8/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Brad,

I have downloaded and played 24/96kHz FLAC files but understand from another owner that the B2 has difficulties playing 24/192kHz files, which tend to stutter.

The Optical output comes from the internal CODEC (Burr Brown PCM2902C) device which down samples everything to 16/44.1, so not possible to change without a hardware redesign.

The HDMI port is actually part of the Raspberry Pi computer board and may output higher bit rate audio.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Brad

Nov 8, 2021, 11:51:08 AM11/8/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul, many thanks for the clarification, much appreciated. Cheers.